Exiting Normalacy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exiting Normalacy

We either stare or ignore - can we not acknowledge the poor and the needy standing on the corner. We walk by as they try to find our eye. We've the time or the money, is it that we're greedy as we gag our bleeding sympathy.

We watch from a distance the insane and decrepit. We peer over papers with interest and terror but we keep our distance as if they're infectious. Or is it that we fear the fall they must've seen exiting normalcy.

We wake before the sun and see them sleeping there in alleys and doorsteps but we’re far too busy for something such as pity. We cram in a streetcar, and race through the city with a strange arm in our face, ’tis the only way to start our daily rat chase.

We return with the moon and see they never left. Immune to need’s demand, we pass their open hand. We dare not a penny lend for we think to know on what they will it spend.

In the circumstantiality of charity we fail to see the help that we, too need. For we live our lives avoiding all eyes; we're unselective in resistance to acknowledging the existence of all others present.

Will there be a morning we skip the work bound train and sit down with the ones we walk by everyday. Would we see that ne're there was a they a we - that all are humanity.

We return with the moon and see they never left.
    Snwbrdr19 ...NICE!

Comment

Snwbrdr19, what you wrote in Exiting Normalacy is unforgettable! It's the kind of poetry that haunts, that goads, that awakens awareness and conscience and compels us to acknowledge that not everybody in this world is living the same kind of life, and so many are in desperate need of help. And I echo your very poetic line, what Suz-zen excerpted and called "NICE!" because it was so beautifully written. I lived in the heart of a downtown megalopolis; I came into daily contact with these fellow humans daily, and my pockets were never out of spare change. Some would sleep standing up in crevices between buildings. Some had little kids with them. At first, I avoided eye contact. Then I thought, "What am I?" I couldn't go on ignoring. Yet I couldn't help them all. So I tried my puny best to reach out to those whom society rejected, even for a little while. Thank you for your poem! Monica

Comment

I love your poem of truth. Rat chase. Love that too.

Comment

Working...
        X