The Snowball War:2nd Amendment right vs a community's desire to protect individuals.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cc springer
    • Feb 2016

The Snowball War:2nd Amendment right vs a community's desire to protect individuals.

The Snowball War

I made a little snowball
    To throw at my friend Ted
    But it missed the target
    And hit a girl instead

She looked pretty angry
    Then fired one back at me
    But she overthrew it
    And it smacked poor Sam McGee

Soon it escalated
    And the fight got out of hand
    A snowball war was started
    It spread across the land

The Governor was called in
    A snowball hit him hard
    So he made a phone call
    To bring the National Guard

The President called a cease fire
    And we had peace that day
    We all laid down our snowballs
    It was springtime anyway

Congress called a special session
    And decided to take a stand
    From that day forward, they
    Banned snowballs from the land

Today I’m playing Frisbee
    With my good friend Ben
    When the Frisbee hit someone
    I said “Here we go again!”
  • Brainwreck
    Master in Training
    • Mar 2016

Don't be like Congress. I think this is a fun poem about a difficult subject. Not having a gun never stopped anyone who wanted to kill.

Comment

• AlexandratheLate
      AlexandratheLate commented
      Editing a comment
      When you take a simple subject that makes people laugh at themselves but has the impact of a total whiteout blizzard, you've accomplished what every poet or writer aspires to - to make a point, to be understood and for people to take a good look at themselves and what they're doing and can do better. I love your simplicity in making a profound statement. KISS Keep it simple stupid - what I try to do with my poems. :-)

• cc springer
      cc springer commented
      Editing a comment
      Kiss. Sometimes it's not so easy. Alex . I've read a lot of your postings Lots of emotions which are more difficult to discuss and you've done it well. You paint well with words and also as an artist. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and your art.
  • cc springer
    • Feb 2016

Hi Brain.... thanks for reading and commenting. i agree - too much regulation because of a few people.

Comment

• AlexandratheLate
      AlexandratheLate commented
      Editing a comment
      You could have fooled me, lol. You did an outstanding job on this poem but it is profound - sends a strong message. Wonderful job. You are right about it being difficult to simplify complex ideas. I strive for the simplicity you achieved here. Thank you for the compliment. Beautiful poem!!
      Last edited by AlexandratheLate; 04-17-2016, 05:46 PM.
  • Mullin
    • Apr 2016

This was a funny one, I like the rhyme scheme!!!
    I know you're talking about the second amendment here, but the idea of a snowball fight being blown way out of proportion could be applied to many more situations.
    If you ever do anything else with this poem, I wouldn't explain the metaphor. I think it would be fun just to see what others make of it.
    Great Job!!!

Comment

• Monica Mack
      • Mar 2016

I agree with the views (serious) expressed by Brainwreck. But, cc springer, I also wholeheartedly agree with Mullin's assessment of The Snowball War as a great "fun" poem, simple and witty. Monica

Comment

• cc springer
        • Feb 2016

Mullin/Monica, That's exactly the type of feedback I was looking for. I truly appreciate the comments. Thank you!

Comment

• Monica Mack
          • Mar 2016

You're very welcome, cc springer! Monica

Comment

• Electron.John
            Administrator
            • Mar 2014
            • Get your cursor out of my space!

Very clever poem. Enjoyable read. I agree with Mullen about not explaining the metaphor. Could make for an excellent children's book with the right artwork and maybe adding a few more stanzas. Lots of lessons to be learned from this piece.

Comment

• Brainwreck
              Master in Training
              • Mar 2016

Electron.John. What a great idea for cc springer to run with.
              Oh, I am now split-minded. A children's book would be nice. If a really young audience, the authorities could be teachers, principal, and
              the school board. I think you should expand it more into a story.

Comment

• cc springer
                • Feb 2016

Electron John/Brain..... I have written a lot of poetry with the idea of a children's compilation. I have been working two jobs for a long time - getting up at 7 am and not getting home until 1 am the next day and wish to put something together so at least I can just work one job. thanks very much for the suggestions and the positive support.

Comment

• Brainwreck
                  Master in Training
                  • Mar 2016

CC, Those are some long hours. I hope you are young. Remember to keep your health up.
                  Did I mention that I love your poem. Maybe they should ban GMS's and insecticides. It is gonna kill or cut short on life or be major health expenses later on.
                  Oh, I don't need to get on my soapbox

Comment

• cc springer
                    cc springer commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Hi Brain. Not so young - but I have my health. I have three sons - two in college and one in his last year in high school. I appreciate the comments. You are also so supportive to so many that post here. It really helps to get feedback. Thanks so much.

• Brainwreck
                    Brainwreck commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Oh, you have several more years of two jobs. ? Your boys will appreciate more and more as the years pass.
                • Steven S.
                  • Apr 2016

On the surface, sweet, fun, and light, yet when it's done, leaves you with a serious punch. Really great. Enjoyed reading that. Congrats!

Comment

• cc springer
                    cc springer commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks Steven. Welcome to the site and I look forward to reading your postings.
                • Steven S.
                  • Apr 2016

Thanks CC! Looking forward to your feedback good sir! I posted one called Run For Your Life!

Comment

• Jakob Hess
                    • Apr 2016

A light take on a serious topic. Masterfully done

Comment

• cc springer
                      cc springer commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Jacob. Your comments are much appreciated. Thanks so much.
                  • RhymeLovingWriter
                    Administrator
                    • Apr 2016
                    • Resting on a smile...
                      RhymeLovingWriter (RLW)

Reminds me of Geisel, one of my heroes! Serious subject matter treated in a fun way and ultimately showing forth how ridiculously silly we humans can be. Nice rhyme. Two thumbs up.

Comment

• cc springer
                      cc springer commented
                      Editing a comment
                      One of my heroes too. I used to read dr Seuss to my boys. I think it helps stimulate the imagination. Nowadays we show more videos and videos games which are from somebody else's imagination.
                  Working...
                  X