like you — and be part of the past.

But sea mist enveloped the heavens,
    obscuring the comet from view.
    My vigil has started anew.
    The promise I made you is broken
    (life’s promises kept very few).
    But comets bring transient splendor,
    and now I wait only for you!

Simply a wonderful tribute Monica! Bravo....

Comment

I love my Dad and miss him as well, However I could never have expressed how I feel better than you have. Unbelievably great

Comment

Monika, you are a Supernova. No wonder you speak so fluently of Comets and space. Your dad did a great job raising you.

Comment

Just wanted to express my gratitude to Boe Burke, and to Robert Wendt, and to Graydon Archer (sorry -- I have to capitalize your name) for your kind words about To My Father. Boe, thanks for the compliment. I think my Dad did a great job, as so many other Dads have, in raising my sister and me. Once I was in the house doing not much of anything, and he was out in the yard. And he came over to me and said I had to join him. Why? I asked. It's just a sunset. And he said, You've never seen one like this before -- and I want you to always remember that you saw it with me. I instantly sensed that this was Important, so I darted out into the yard and joined him. I will always be grateful to him for sharing that sunset with me, a gift to cherish forever. (He also made wonderful French fries and snow cones.)

Comment

A beautiful reflection on love of a father in the context of something so much bigger than us. I was on the Board of Friends of the [Griffith] Observatory in Los Angeles for around five years, but I never saw the cosmos quite like this. Thanks for posting!

Comment

MHenry, thanks for your own beautiful comment. It must have been exciting being on the Board of Friends of the [Griffith] Observatory! An amazing building and location! I remember it well, both in person and from seeing it in Rebel Without a Cause in an unforgettable scene that added so much to the film itself. Monica

Comment

Monika, I love my sunsets also and my 3 daughters. Your father was a spiritual man. In this world but not of it or constrained by it. He passed his passion on to you and it is quite evident in your writing and persona.

Comment

Monika, your heartfelt poem reminded me of some of the special intimate conversations I enjoyed with my father. He passed away ten years ago but memories of his love, wisdom, and spirituality still comfort me whenever I have a bad day. Beautiful inspirational writing like yours can only be inspired by profound enduring love. Thank you for posting such an uplifting poem. You made my day!

Comment

To Doctor Z, I loved reading your post. I'm glad To My Father was uplifting to you. I'm sure your father affected your life very profoundly, and those memories do comfort you (as memories of my father comfort me) every day. It's been far more than ten years in my case, but the memories are crystal-clear, and I feel his love, and my mother's love, and my sister's love, even though they're not with me any longer. And now YOU have made MY day. Thank you! Monica

Comment

This reply is to Boe Burke. You say you love your sunset also and your 3 daughters -- God bless them! I never thought of my father as a "spiritual" man, but I suppose he was -- to me he was just "Daddy." He was very sweet and gentle. Illness forced him to be more or less homebound, so he was quite domesticated and helped Mama enormously. He took an active interest in my sister and in me and our wellbeing. He loved animals and nature, probably should have been a doctor because he would heal birds with broken wings and nurse sick plants back to health. Thank you for writing as you did!

Comment

Lovely & Eloquent, Monica, your words truly capture what is to be human, and the great need to love mightily those around us (family and friends) in the brief time allotted our lives in this world. Thank You!

Comment

Tanner, excuse me -- I've been offline. Thank you so much for your kind words about To My Father. Your comment about the "great need to love mightily those around us (family and friends) in the brief time allotted our lives in this world" is a poem unto itself, very beautiful. Monica

Comment

Every daughter should love her father... and fathers protect their daughters... even when they might not appreciate it :>)

Comment

D.F.Russell, thank you so much for saying what you did about To My Father. I think that, in theory, every daughter should love her father, and vice-versa; but, unfortunately, not all fathers are loving. I was blessed to have one who was, and he did all he could to protect my sister and me (yes, even when we didn't appreciate it). Monica

Comment

• D.F.Russell
                                D.F.Russell commented
                                Editing a comment
                                It's a balance of protect children too much and they don't learn from their mistakes, but not enough and their lives are a mess. It is difficult to watch your daughter doing something that you know is going to leave her figuratively or literally with skinned knees, in the hope that it prevents a broken leg
                            Working...
                            X