• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Middle Ground

Who is to blame when two sides oppose?
    A question, I know, not easy to decide.
    An open discussion with minds that are closed,
    Only leads to frustration and further divide.

Can you put yourself in another’s shoes,
    And give it a truly honest thought?
    See the problem from their point of view.
    Find blameless ground where resolution is sought.

With compromise so often the need,
    Can you give a little for the greater good?
    Even the greatest minds can only succeed,
    When that middle ground is understood.

So here’s to the people with an open heart,
    And the humility to usher a tolerant place.
    A little understanding is where it should start,
    To realize the potential of the human race.

- Trying to find inspiration from the "understanding" theme, I came up with this feeling it could apply to many types of relationships, conflicts, etc. Though I consider myself an open minded person, I still struggle plenty with compromise, so in a sense I am asking myself some of these questions. Hope you enjoy it!
    Last edited by J.Worth13; 01-17-2015, 09:17 AM.

Comment

I understand how you feel.

Comment

Hi Jeremy I thought this was an excellent write. I like the traditional form of quatrains with an abab rhyme. I think that really helps it flow and keeps it feeling like poetry. I think this takes a "big picture" view of understanding - you did encompass the world, well, humanity, anyway. Of course, that's just my middle-ground opinion Well done and best of luck in the contest, although how they'll weed out all the flotsam I've seen in this forum is beyond me. Let me know when you're up on writing.com. Ken

Comment

Thanks so much for the feedback Ken! I am just getting back into writing more in my free time, but have always been a bit of stickler when it comes to flow of poetry. I rarely find a free verse poem I like, but sometimes to change it up in my own writing, I will mix some free verse aspects within a structure, but that's as much as I can stand. I've pretty much finished my roundel poem and will post it on the other site early next week when I have time to sign up and post it appropriately.

Comment

I truly feel that perspective may be the most important factor in life, and certainly in attaining understanding! Thank you for sharing, it was a thoroughly enjoyable read!!

Comment

Thanks for the kind words Beverley! I do feel strongly about the subject matter of this poem and glad to see it sparked some emotion. I'm sure we'd all like to see more of this sentiment in general, but I also have some conflicts within my own extended family in which I really wish this perspective could take some root!

Comment

JWorth....WOW, your poem hits so close to home; the last stanza is amazing because it is so powerful in a positive, non-threatening way! Have you seen that movie "The Music Within?"...it's a true story about discrimination against physical disabilities in the Vietnam era & how one man began to make changes which affected the whole US. It's one of my life's missions to put a big dent in the mental illness stigma. Knowledge > Understanding > Tolerance > Acceptance > Appreciation > LOVE

Comment

I have not seen that movie, but will definitely have to check it out. Ironically, my father is a disabled veteran and played a small part in the movie "Coming Home" with Jane Fonda & John Voight set in a VA hospital. My mother also just retired after many years as a Special Education teacher, so you can guess where I get a lot of my inspiration for the "understanding" theme!

Comment

J.Worth13, I did enjoy reading your poem,it had a good flow to it. I also liked your rhyming, by other comments you have been writing awhile, it shows. The kurlman

Comment

Thank you for the thoughts Carl... I had a girlfriend in high school who did a poetry book to express herself as a spin on a diary, and I took up that idea myself (after she broke up with me) and found it very therapeutic. Alot of teenage angst in those initial pieces! Though I'd dive back in periodically through the years, only recently (because I got laid off) have I spent more time using writing again as a therapeutic outlet. I stumbled across this contest and wanted to enter, but I've been even more encouraged to write after reading all the other good works on here and hope to continue to improve on my own work. Who knows, maybe somehow I'll find a way to make a living with my words?

Comment

Hear hear, brother. I thought this was a difficult prompt, but you have done something very meaningful -- and well-crafted -- with it!

Comment

Working...
                        X