• Splendid Fruit

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

It's a word you have heard for the way that you learn
    Describing the times when the details emerge
    Ideas are inferred, a design is discerned
    All the clues coalesce and new concepts converge

"Eureka!" you shriek with a wave of the hands
    "I see!" -- with such glee, with such fervor unplanned
    This is better than good, it is great! -- it is grand!
    It's the moment, at last, you shout:
    ........................................ ..........."I understand!"

................................-------

But our language is rich -- there's a separate sense:
    When you soften your stance against seeming offense
    It's relinquishing rightness when tempers are tense
    It's for tearing down fences and mending the rents

Unharden your heart and hold out your hand
    Bestow your own strength so another can stand
    This gift you can give, it is great, it is grand
    To murmur and mean it:
    ....................................."Friend, I understand"

................................-------

Though learning and love share no linguistic root
    Understanding unites them to bear splendid fruit

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

S. Aderca
    New York, NY
    February 1, 2015
    Last edited by Aenigma; 02-01-2015, 07:27 PM.

Hi Aenigma, Terrific! Beautifully crafted in every way. Can I assume that you wrote this specifically for the contest? You really nailed the topic.

Comment

I agree with John Wertz! You have taken it to a whole other level. Great job! I am not a judge but if I were this would make my short list.

Comment

• Aenigma
        Aenigma commented
        Editing a comment
        High praise, Electron John, especially from someone who appears to have assiduously read so many of the poems submitted here -- thank you! Little do you know that before I even wrote the first line, your generous and encouraging posts helped inspire me to share this poem. This is the first thing I've ever written for an audience of strangers and your commentary went a very long way in making this forum feel welcoming.

Love your form. Almost reads like a Dr. Seuss book and instantly grabs your attention!

Comment

• Aenigma
        Aenigma commented
        Editing a comment
        I take that as a great compliment, Stephanie, thank you very much!

Good message, on topic and well written

Comment

• Aenigma
        Aenigma commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you for your feedback. I did wrestle with the topic a bit but I'm glad you think it came out well!

John Wertz, thank you for your kind words! I've never fancied myself a poet, but used to write silly verses for my classmates. Now I work 80 hours a week in a crushing corporate environment and, besides the occasional snarky rhyme about business jargon or hedge funds -- which I fear are wasted on my colleagues -- I don't get to write anymore. This was a great challenge: it gave me an excuse to spend Sunday afternoon on a creative pursuit, plus I got to read others' work here, which I've quite enjoyed. I actually struggled with the prompt -- this started as a poem about calculus, I think! and then took on a life of its own -- so your compliment is especially gratifying. Thanks again.

Comment

This is wonderful and unique! Well done! I love all the internal rhymes and the fact that you incorporated "Eureka" in there. Perfectly captures the spirit of the challenge! I hope you'll find more time for writing in the future.

Comment

• Aenigma
          Aenigma commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh, thank you luna5000! Very much appreciate your observations; I had such fun with the alliteration and internal rhymes. And I so profoundly appreciate the encouragement!

I must ask if you might be related the the poets Felix and Sanda Aderca.

Comment

• Aenigma
          Aenigma commented
          Editing a comment
          Ah, clever John! Yes, they are my great-grandparents. Aderca is part of my name -- albeit not my full name -- and it seemed a fitting way to maintain my privacy while paying tribute to the literary force, dormant for at least a generation, that inspires these early efforts of mine.

Incerdible poem, Aenigma. It's amazing to believe that you are related to the great Felix Aderca. In a good way, of course. Great poem.

Comment

• Aenigma
          Aenigma commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm a bit amazed myself, and appreciate the interest. Fun fact: according to family lore, he and my grandfather belonged to a community of writers that spoke to each other in Latin. Can you imagine? Different times.

In any case, thank you for the kind words -- and for all the encouragement and engagement you share across the site.

I have tons of interest. No way? They spoke to each other in Latin? How extraordinary.

No problem, Aenigma. We're all here to help each other with flaws and encourage them to get up again, no matter how big or small the mistake.

Comment

"Felix Aderca" -- then it's very possible we share a fair amount of DNA. My mother's haplogroup is K -> K2 -> K2a

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haplogroup_K_%28mtDNA%29

Comment

Working...
          X