torture them break them here them yell

Hate filled my soul and I've been lost
    but there in pain its worth the cost
    i scream beside them in our hell
    broken tattered and down we fell
    in the end the devil has a laugh

"was it worth the pain"

I smirched its my woven path

Achilles? I can't tell if you've been reading the Iliad, or if you just have a warrior's heart (in your hand ready to eat it).

"I wish I could eat you myself , that the fury in my heart would drive me to cut you in pieces and eat your flesh raw"

No matter. Looks like anger is still a thing. Nicely done.

Comment

• DepressingPoem
      DepressingPoem commented
      Editing a comment
      ...I actually had read a bit of the lliad a while before writing this...

Good for you. My youngest is kind of a hothead, and his temper provides us many opportunities to discuss the physical, psychological, social, and moral dimensions of anger. It's a remarkable emotion.

I usually crib the Roman poet Horace and say something like "unless it obeys, it commands" to remind him that either he is in control of his anger or it is in control of him.

As for the Iliad, we unfortunately don't have to look too far to see the cycle of violence that grief and revenge leads to. It's repeated to this day on battlefields, in neighborhoods, and sometimes even within families.

I advise you not to neglect Book 6 if it wasn't part of your reading. Throughout most of the poem the actions and effects of war are presented to us in the most brutal way imaginable, but Book 6 includes one of the most touching scenes Western literature has ever produced. Hector has a brief moment with his wife and his infant son before he must face Achilles (and certain death). Some people might be able to read through it without crying, but I am not one of those people.

Comment

Have not yet read the Iliad. It's going on my list.

Comment

I highly recommend it. I'm told it can be read in ten hours (or recited in fifteen if you prefer).

Comment

Working...
        X