On lightning bugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On lightning bugs

If you want to witness the loveliest and most inconvenient superpower in the world firsthand, you must step out into a backyard at dusk. There, if you believe without seeing, when the blue air heads into the simplicity of night, you can watch the fingertips of the stars engender wondrous creatures that glow like paper lanterns. While grownups accept their beauty passively, fireflies achieve their ultimate destiny in the presence of children who - without the vanity of thinking - invent them as a secret bridge to heaven. So dazzling is their wonder, that there’s a southern tradition for children to collect them in Mayonnaise Jars… sweet tea, lemonade, glow-bugs…the coalescence of constellations, the useless superpower of understanding their speech, an echo covered in gold dust.

Our connection to these featherless inhabitants of the air, loosely bound with our kinship to angels and stars, we of course outgrow it and forget our essence..Average duration of exploring the world : twilight.

Last edited by lunar glide; 03-15-2021, 08:25 AM.

I remember many childhood evenings when my siblings (mostly my sisters) and I would run after them in our backyard and try to capture this wonder. I always associated them with Tinkerbell, from Peter Pan for some reason.

This brought back fond memories - thanks.

Comment

• lunar glide
      lunar glide commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks ! I'm glad it brought back those memories..

"fingertips of the stars"

My goodness, this is fine work. Thank you for sharing.

If only the glow were fatal to mosquitoes . . .

Comment

• lunar glide
      lunar glide commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you! I appreciate you reading and commenting..

just beautiful lg

Comment

Working...
    X