Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Push through Time

Hi,

I'm John Henke, the singer/songwriter for The Growling Twenties. This is a long song at the end of my album, Powerful Woman. The cover is based on this song.

You can find the full song here: https://thegrowlingtwenties.hearnow.com/

Push through Time

The morning sun was just a bud, blooming away the night for us, inflorescent dies seeping cross a canvas.
    Papers dated the wrong year, suppose I’m not thinking too clear. I haven’t seen her in years.
    Strange to say but I forget her face, how could time erase it? Now she sits with me at a café.
    Her face~ makes me yearn for younger days.

I u~ Usually push. Push through time. Time’s pulling me.

A lemon-slice sun over a crimson sea which was a martini in front of a beauty.
    I stumbled up next to her, and then woke up next to her, beautiful but not like she’d been.
    Her lips had been candied with lipstick, her cheeks blushed with lauriel. Her eyebrows thickened with ink.
    They~ made her look like she’s in an oil painting.

The tree shattered the light into gems that sparkled upon the Thames. She was reading her King James.
    I was rowing the boat and then she began to gloat as I labored in the sun.
    Her lips remained untensed but her eyes formed crescents enshrouded by eyelashes.
    They~ were always smiling at me.

Lines of ink curled from her smoke, blurring to graphite as it rose. It was Holi in Bombay.
    Her powdered face tilted up and her cigarette with it as she ran water down her hair.
    Her hair curled like long shavings of mountain mahogany, the water thickly varnishing.
    They~ in pyre light looked all aflame.

Gold glowing fresh from a sun furnace, molten light pouring on the wilderness, we stood atop a soaring peak.
    I was hunched over my legs and on a rock my foot gave way. I tumbled for forty feet.
    With every step down a grimace, her downy lower lip couldn’t cover up, her secretive smiling.
    Her face~ more honest than she’d like to be.

The sea water was so clear we could see the ocean floor. It was like swimming in the sky.
    She disappeared into the white of a wave only to reappear behind me, and she bit me like a shark.
    Her cheeks hid behind freckles, her forehead behind wet bangs, and her eyes behind those lashes.
    But she~ could not hide her beauty.

An enormous garden of light exploded into the sky. It was the fourth of July.
    In the flaring, fading light on the grass, my wife found me with another woman, aquatic light flooding everything.
    Her face relaxed with surprise, but the end was in her eyes. Pupils dilated, eyes black and white.
    Always they~ appeared wettened with a tear.

Rain silver under street lights, gold shafts whenever a car shoots by. Fiery wisps of white from black coffee.
    Haven’t heard much of what she’s said. She’s been doin all the talken and she knows I’m in my head.
    Don’t feel like saying anything. Don’t feel right with the state she’s in. Don’t feel like tryen to change anything.
    Just seeing her face~ is good enough for me.

Welcome John - a pleasure to have you here.

Comment

Working...
    X