Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Muttado1sb
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks. Each year I have fun wearing a Twelve Days song tie sometime during the first week back at work in the new year. Someone always questions. 🙂

• RhymeLovingWriter
    commented on 's reply
    Very clever this one.

• Muttado1sb
    commented on 's reply
    Epiphany

On the twelfth day
    there were three kings
    which in some way
    led to five rings
    (or for the kooks
    led to five toques
    Bob and Doug’s brand)

• Muttado1sb
    commented on 's reply
    Thank you, RLW! Great ha’sonnet! Epiphany was when we ended it. My mother used to remind is that when she was child, where she lived Christmas presents weren’t given out until Epiphany. She didn’t hold us to that, though. 🙂

• Muttado1sb
    commented on 's reply
    Thank you, Johntee! And thanks for the poem. Unfortunately time is moving quickly again.

• RhymeLovingWriter
    commented on 's reply
    I never thought about that. I know that's why we have the leap year now...to keep things in line on our calendars evermore.

I'd only known "the twelve days of Christmas" in the Catholic liturgical context and have always loved that Christmas celebrations last more than just a day (but I also try very hard to keep Advent, which we didn't do when I was growing up, so I don't start as early as some). Easter is a long season, liturgically, too - and I enjoy that as well. Thanks for the info. It's nice to learn and remember the why of things, isn't it?

• Johntee
    commented on 's reply
    I always thought this came from the Julian/Gregorian calendar shift ( ‘Give us our eleven days!’ The English calendar riots of 1752.)
    The eleven days referred to here are the ‘lost’ 11 days of September 1752, skipped when Britain changed over from the Julian calendar to the Gregorian calendar, bringing us into line with most of Europe, but of course Jan 6th. gives 12 days

• RhymeLovingWriter
    replied
    Making merry
    'tis the season
    love the lights
    and Christ's the reason
    few days more 'til
    everyday thrill
    twelve days* - our way!

*Some sources list Christmastide ending on Epiphany (Jan. 6th) and others on the Feast of the Baptism of the Lord (this year on Jan. 12).

Leave a comment:

• Johntee
    replied
    The holidays have been and gone
    but an echo still lingers on
    disinterred by
    returning eye
    atop the pile
    again to lie

Leave a comment:

• Muttado1sb
    started a topic Season’s Greetings!

Season’s Greetings!

The colorful lights
    up on the trees
    Fanciful flights
    of memories
    fill the moment
    of times well spent
    with those you chose

I hope you all have safe and happy holidays!
    Stephen
Working...
X