• What’s Wrong With That

Listen to one
    silly love song
    and when it’s done
    tell me what’s wrong
    with all the joy
    love can deploy
    to all who call

I watched a film about Motown the other night. One of the musicians sharing memories recalled that his reaction to many of the songs that became hits during that time was "Man, this stuff is kinda hokey."

Maybe so, but the food of love plays on. More than fifty years after "Ain't No Mountain High Enough", "I'll Be There", and dozens of other mawkishly sentimental expressions of love from Berry Gordy and company, silly love songs still have the power to make hearts smile in the chests of even the grumpiest curmudgeons.

There's nothing wrong with that. [I think maybe John was a little jealous or maybe just having a bad day when he uttered his infamous criticism of Paul's work.]

Comment

• Muttado1sb
      Muttado1sb commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, Poldy. Sounds like an interesting film. Love songs, like love poetry, will always exist and most of it will be considered silly and/or hokey. But if they get across what they are trying to get across, who cares? Let them be silly and hokey.

Jazzy G's "Love Abyss" reminded me of Prince's "The Most Beautiful Girl in the World", a silly love song I introduced my 11-year-old son to this summer when he was enthralled by a young woman he knew from school.

I'll never forget the look on his face or the sense of the feeling I seemed to recognize taking hold of him as we listened to the song, something like "I've never felt about another person the way I do about this one. I've been frustrated by my inability to find something even close to the right words to express this feeling. Thank God one of my fellow travelers who must have once felt this way took the time and energy to write down these lyrics and set them to music. I'm going to play this song for her and surely she will love me forever." (Maybe not his exact reaction, but I think it was pretty close to something like that)

Comment

• Muttado1sb
      Muttado1sb commented
      Editing a comment
      Wonderful moment for you and your son. That song will always mean something to him, and in some way it will always relate to you. I loved introducing my children to music I liked. Understand I have eccentric, eclectic, and wide ranging taste in music so they got introduced to a lot. From performance artists like Laurie Anderson to Cajun and Zydeco to seventies hair metal to prog rock and alt rock and new/80s wave, with some jazz and crossover country, early (not gangster) rap... Sometimes they looked at me funny, but I think it helped them grow up to be more accepting of people's' differences.

Ha'sonnet king - a wonderful thing - this love and its songs to employ!

Comment

• Muttado1sb
      Muttado1sb commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, RLW! The ha'sonnets are starting to flow again after most of the year pushing for them. Maybe some other poetry will push itself to the fore again.

• RhymeLovingWriter
      RhymeLovingWriter commented
      Editing a comment
      Always a good feeling when things flow easily - but you definitely make it look easy from my vantage point! I get it about wanting to try other things too though. I used to hop around all over the place...maybe still do...just not as consistently or often.
Working...
X