• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today I Tucked Time Into My Pocket

I tucked time into my pocket
    Absent of hidden roads and words.

Free from gesticulating knees, hands
    and flat-lipped nods

I tucked time to feel my shoulders melt.
    For air, slow in my lungs, to be brought in by the oaks.
    My blood to cool the appropriate degrees.

I decided to hold time for these
    things beyond duty and form.

For me.
    Last edited by Eslin; 06-03-2019, 02:52 PM.

Kind of breezy--I like it! Clipped phrasing makes a unique flow and feel with this. Not too much decoration and adornment, and I think the brevity as well makes for this poem's charm.

Thank you for sharing, Eslin!

Comment

thanks

Comment

Really interesting piece Eslin . As I read it I tried to imagine myself doing the same. The line that's sticking with me is "I tucked time to feel my shoulders melt." It's as if you were ready to retaliate, and deliberately chose a safer, smoother response - not in defeat or defiance, but intentionally walking away. I'm probably way off base, but it strikes me so.

Comment

RhymeLovingWriter Thanks for the comments. It can be read that way. Overall, the theme of self care and time as medicine, a balm, or precious stone/talisman. It heals, destroys, matures us, smooths the stones, makes us wiser with our energy and life.

Comment

Originally Posted by Elsin
            Thanks for the comments. It can be read that way. Overall, the theme of self care to
            pay for dissertation and time as medicine, a balm, or precious stone/talisman. It heals, destroys, matures us, smooths the stones, makes us wiser with our energy and life.
            Hi Eslin,

Good points. Thanks for sharing your perspective. I guess it's more like a conceptual metaphor: time is medicine (time is the best medicine, as we always hear). And it's quite natural that we we explain our relationship to time through metaphors mostly.
            Last edited by TerryMulhern; 07-25-2019, 03:53 AM. Reason: typos

Comment

Charming is right. Theres a freedom and brightness to this but it's also soft and comforting.

Comment

Short and concise. The theme of time is always something valuable not to loose so as to keep it close in our pockets.

Comment

I really enjoyed reading this and how you put it together. Nicely done.

Comment

Thank you again

Comment

Working...
                    X