Through dusty rooms

echo falls from painted walls,

vinous sinuous silence writhes,

a partial tale of pamper'd lives

drowns unheard claims

still chained to

slaves all bound as one

by their ash-cast mortality.

Quite haunting, the feeling you've captured here, and the centering format has created a sort of urn. Most appropriate for holding venerable ashes. Yet even in death, the great 'leveler of mankind', this piece shows that the living will grant no parity to those they wish to consider slaves. Have I read it correctly?

Comment

• Johntee
      Johntee commented
      Editing a comment
      As usual this evolved, in this case from the name Echo Falls painted on a drinks delivery truck along with brightly painted pictures of the product, rhyming with wall brought to mind the frescos from Pompeii. I wanted to tie master, slave (and even pets) together in death as some are in the ash body casts that resulted but had trouble finding a format that was unambiguous. The shackles really belong to the old dockside buildings.

felt it personally! loved the consonance of 'vinuous sinuous silence writhes', a vivid image which went further into this, seeing-feeling. i liked the Vulcan part too, of all of it those were the impressions that most stood out!

Comment

• Johntee
      Johntee commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the read amenOra. When I wrote it I envisaged vinous as (of or to do with) the grape vine but found it defined solely as (of or to do with) wine so sinuous flowed from my vision of the vine.

Great piece! Well done as usual Johntee

Comment

Working...
    X