X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Werewolf

The Werewolf

I saw it in the moonbeams just beneath the star streams
    running like a wild thing as if in chase or flight.
    Cold breaths, short breaths, smokes of a night quest
    whistled thru its fangs making slices of the night.

Wolf made of mankind howled at the moon sign.
    Forest eyes blinked their fears across the forest floor.
    Squirrel sounds, owl sounds, bird sounds, bat sounds
    merged to flee in symphony their voices from the roar.

A smell mixed in wind’s blow made eyes of wolf to seek its flow
    as nose lifted neck’s height for head to turn and catch the sight
    of living flesh upon the land, soft for fangs to tear in strands
    by man turned to wolfen sight cursed to walk the lunar light.

Howling twice, it turned you see to fix red eyes on ‘flesh’ of me.
    I froze and could not walk nor run. It lunged a step. I held my gun’s
    silver bullet loaded weight to send this wretch to Heaven’s gate
    and in my trembling fit of fears, ‘twas shock I saw its eyes in tears

as if it knew just what I felt and with my gun please could I help
    to end this life of killing spree and rid his house of misery.
    It leaped! I shot and hit its chest. It fell and said with one last breath,
    “No more death I make tonight, no longer slave to lunar light.”

Among the tales of the human heart will reign this story told
    how man’s humanity gave up life to save its mortal soul.
    For outside is the heartless beast that slays ‘til all is dust
    but inside is the man of Will who defeats the beast in us.

Namyh
    Last edited by Namyh; 10-31-2018, 11:54 AM.

O I loved the turn it took. The turn / volte/ for me was when you saw with shock "its eyes in tears" which at this point becomes the writer's connection to the animal // humanity! Itself! Beautiful story, with a bit of silver and magic, and a resolution that I can definitely warm up to... I feel it! Thanks for sharing Namyh. Good write!

Comment

AmenOra - It seems that dreadful situations bring out the best, the worst and even the noble behaviors in us. Perhaps our strength as a species isn’t the absence of our fears and uncertainties but something powerful that comes forth in the very midst of them. And if it doesn’t always deflect a silver bullet to the heart, it may just be enough to repel kryptonite to the soul. So very happy you stopped in to warm up to a little silver, a dash of magic and a feel for humanity. Thanks AmenOra for your words. Namyh

Comment

when strange things happens its the chemical reaction in the body kicks in and out comes the survivor.

Comment

The humanity of the beast, or the beast of the humanity. Is one better? "I'll never be your beast of burden" Nicely done, Namyh!

Comment

Poemzone - The learned ones say we are a species who has navigated 7 million years of evolution across a path of biblical disasters, wars, pestilence and self inflicted catastrophes. Yet when strange things happen, we still often need that kick in the behind, chemical or physical, to remain a survivor. Thanks PZ for your insightful words and for enjoying this wolf tale of human salvation. Namyh.
            Last edited by Namyh; 11-05-2018, 05:22 AM.

Comment

Muttado - Some men carry their Beast of burden until it bends them and then breaks them. Other men carry theirs and it stands them erect and then propels them. We must each decide which pack of wolves with burdens we choose to run with. Salvation is a choice we make. So glad you could spend a spell at the Wolf's Den here in sunny downtown Rhymezone City. Y'all come back, ya hear! Namyh
              Last edited by Namyh; 10-30-2018, 07:05 AM.

Comment

I saw a werewolf yesterday carrying bag of candy. (His hair was perfect), I stole that from Warren Zevon.

Comment

Divot - If you saw a werewolf with perfect hair and carrying a bag of candy. Then you must know BOSCO too! Whoa! LOL. Thanks for the fun words Divot. Namyh

Comment

I finally have a moment to step into the zone and it's Halloween! A werewolf theme fits right in with the mood of the day...except...this is much more...turning from gruesome tricks to the treat of a moral metaphor bringing a lesson home. Nicely played, Namyh !

Comment

RhymeLovingWriter - So glad you got here just in time for this work to inject a big 'howl' into your evening. Aaaaoooooh! I would have made that longer but I got a....cough, cough......cold! Thanks a lot RLW for your insight on gruesome tricks and moral metaphors, components no doubt of human to wolf transformations without even a full moon. Whoa! Namyh
                      Last edited by Namyh; 10-31-2018, 04:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X