Development

For nightmare's child that wakes in fear

to cosset calm in mother's arms

that swathe and brush the trembling tear

enfolded by maternal warmth

in closeness they'll know nevermore

as age takes its annual tithe,

this closeness memory holds as dear.

Last edited by Johntee; 10-20-2018, 07:58 AM.

I've always been wary of having children, but... you paint a beautiful picture.

Comment

hard start but bring much joy. hard to work out but gather its a child and as we all no. hard work. start to end. well expressed different poetry here.

Comment

i enjoyed, 'cosset' is a new word, so eloquently written how can I not help but feel it. Beautiful Johntee, thanks.

Comment

• Johntee
          Johntee commented
          Editing a comment
          A carpet manufacturer in the UK used to market under the name "Kosset" and I think showed the product enjoyed by a white Persian cat.

Sadly winsome.

Comment

• Johntee
          Johntee commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks RLW, one hopes fears are to be outlived.

I have often looked at newborns swaddled, or toddlers secure in their strollers, and thought, this is such a peaceful, wonderfully comforted phase of life. It is a pity, they will have no recollection of it.

Well written portrait of innocence.

Comment

• Johntee
          Johntee commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Dwayne, this came out of the previous piece Halloween which in turn came from a young mother's attempt to describe the fears children express, nothing I would ever think of normally although not entirely out of my range of experience. As you say there is a pre-language phase of existence denied to memory once the verbal world unfolds.

Johntee - I liked this beautiful work a lot. Now......I want my Mommy! Namyh

Comment

Working...
        X