For a Friend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For a Friend

Some of you may remember that I shared before about my son's friend who has been battling cancer the past seven years. This saintly young man met his Maker early Sunday morning. I'd written this for him only days before, and his Mom, a very good friend of mine, has asked to use it on his prayer card. Seems that in this season of sorrowing, God wants my words for His purposes. It humbles me to hope that the words with which I work might make a difference for another grieving heart.

When the valley stretches 'fore us,
    Cratered deep on every side
    While a Hallelujah chorus
    Sings our step at every stride
    Through a life and death we've storied
    To a heaven's waiting shore
    For our Maker's will, we'll glory
    As we kiss the cross He bore
    And if Love should find us wanting
    When some final marker sounds
    We will wait upon His mercy
    As the surest Heaven's hounds
    For His gifts have made us holy
    For a meeting face to face
    When we've climbed up from the valley
    Standing warm - in His embrace

This is a nice one -- familiar, in that tone that it takes, and the smooth lull to each line... Beautiful poem about God which doesn't specifically use "that" name only "our Maker"...
    Thanks for sharing RhymeLovingWriter

Comment

That was beautiful! Thanks for sharing RLW. I hope your friend can find some comfort in this.

Comment

Very touching. Lovely words.

Comment

• RhymeLovingWriter
      RhymeLovingWriter commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you Alex, for taking a look and leaving this nice comment.

The meter is impeccable, which carries along the slightly loosened rhyme scheme with graceful sonority. No doubt the content will be a welcome solace to those who share the same aspirations.

Comment

• RhymeLovingWriter
      Editing a comment
      Thank you Grant. I wasn't really paying attention to the details of meter, only channeling thoughts after I'd read one of the Caring Bridge updates two days before his death. I'm hopeful you are correct in your thought that it will provide solace.

RhymeLovingWriter That may be one of the loveliest funeral poems I have ever heard! (I read it aloud to get the full effect!) Simply Brilliant! It may be one of your best! Wow!

Comment

• RhymeLovingWriter
      Editing a comment
      Thank you Rhymeboy, for taking a look and leaving this gracious comment.
Working...
X