begin to lose,
    by millimeter's tiny bite,
    their spark

while others,
    glancing neither left nor right,
    cavort toward all eternity
    in glee...
    glowing all the way?

Without necessity, there is no eternity. Your cavorting 'others' are further from it; the spark-whittled are closer, if only they will freely surrender themselves to it.

Comment

• RhymeLovingWriter
      RhymeLovingWriter commented
      Editing a comment
      Well this is a profound response GH - and that freely surrendering part has more than once tripped me up. But I'm working on it.

Millimeter's tiny bite is brilliant!

Comment

• RhymeLovingWriter
      Editing a comment
      Thanks LG - I liked it too. It's often little things, over time, that leave big impact. Thanks for reading and leaving a word.

Great title and you didn’t let us down.

Comment

• RhymeLovingWriter
      Editing a comment
      Thank you Alex. The title sprung from a 'life in the moment' thought. We were getting ready to hit the road for a trip and stopped at the car wash before leaving. Next door was a Dollar Store where my Mom & Dad sometimes shopped. They were always frugal with spending, but Mom stopped there because it was a small store, easier to navigate than the huge supermarkets in town. I've come to realize there were many sacrifices my parents made through the years I never asked about. They were likely necessary and probably intentional, because my folks were responsible people. But I suddenly wondered if they minded and how and if it changed them over time. Some other folks don't seem to plan or make allowance for the future - they just expect things to work out 'somehow'. The difference between these approaches struck me and the poem popped out.

All life ends in failure.
    By custom most
    must shuffle on,
    This is the world
    we are born into.
    ​​​​Rebellion may fit
    some few to flare
    their talent's tare
    in brief expenditure,
    glittering ephemera
    while mortal coil endure.

Comment

• RhymeLovingWriter
      Editing a comment
      True words JT. It goes to the question of happiness for me. Because some people I know 'look' happy and yet are miserable on the inside, while others live through much sacrifice and are filled with joy.

It is always good to have perspective. Great reminder

Comment

• RhymeLovingWriter
      Editing a comment
      Thank you Jon. It is good indeed. Even better when we can allow that each person has his/her own...perspective, that is.
Working...
X