that set out for Fargo

high stepping the plains

and setting the pace so

far gone in the dust storms

the still wintered wind blows

sighing honesty pays

bankrolling years ago
    Last edited by Johntee; 08-17-2018, 08:35 AM. Reason: line 5 altered

Hmm, this seems unjustly neglected. Overall, it's quite beautiful. There are a couple of spots where the meter loses me; that may have to do more with the placement of line breaks than anything else.

Comment

• Johntee
      Johntee commented
      Editing a comment
      It grew from the word Fargo, a North Dakota city, which I'd heard some time ago originated as a name from the fact (apocryphal or not) that this was a stagecoach staging post that was a "far go" from the previous stage. The phrase seems more like it should belong in Oz rather than the USA and the stage-line company went from Wells Fargo the stagecoach operator to Wells Fargo the bank (most recently super-fined for abusing its customers trust.) Meter and me don't meet very often, I've altered line 5 to try to make it a bit more even but the lines hop between 5 and 6 syllables and the objective flips in the last 2 to reference banking bad-behaviour but end up tacked on like an afterthought, not very successfully.

Solemn, taking a few reads to penetrate. Last three lines were really great. I connected to this on I guess I'd call it a visceral level. I'm not quite sure what to make of it, honestly, for some reason! I like the words and what they could mean.

Comment

• Johntee
      Johntee commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm often led by the sound of words,
      not always to a good end.

Westward ho!

Comment

• Johntee
      Johntee commented
      Editing a comment
      "Go West