I find, unobserv'd, I have
    no ear for Sonnets

So I write to rhyme.
    Others clock a syllable count
    pitch-perfect unthought.

A faculty that's
    beyond the ability
    of my finger count.

We all have favored forms I think. I remember when I first found the zone and was almost daily inspired to try any new thing I encountered here. Perhaps I'll find time and a way back to that in another season of life. I enjoy your work JT, in whatever format it arrives.

Comment

• Johntee
      Johntee commented
      Editing a comment
      It should have been 4
      but I've got the wrong copy
      on my USB

• RhymeLovingWriter
      RhymeLovingWriter commented
      Editing a comment
      Then post again when you find the straggling haiku. Or you could edit this one to include it later. Just make sure to leave a new comment so it goes to the top of the queue so we don't miss it!

I was on a haiku kick for a while,
    or haiku-ish, to be more precise;
    there's much to its trick, for zenny style
    mere syllable squish will not suffice.

Comment

Unthought perfection is an illusion.
      For me at least, the meter and syllable counts come with much difficulty and many revisions. Perhaps with much more practice it will come easier.

Comment

Haiku is normally contrasted with senryu ... they are both three line poems, and they do not traditionally have to have a certain meter/syllable count. The difference between Haiku and senryu is that while haiku contains reference to nature, or the seasons, and hinges on that, Senryu are about human nature; usually more wry, and ironic; senryu generally are "subliminal" in the humor related to life and death // life and sex, I have found.

Yes, a good haiku takes a lifetime to write, and there's a lot to making a simple beauty come alive in 3 lines.

Sadly I don't have good examples, which is the best measurement, exposure to this beautiful Japanese form.

Comment

And as for your content specifically, I know ya could always brush up on iambs and feet and stresses/unstressed syllables. But it can become too much, of course, It's taken me a while and I don't have a good hang of "meter", that ear you mention, but I have written with that attempt anyway.

I love your "voice" as a poet/in general, and this breathes a life into it, a hint of good natured humor to itself. You rhyme well.

--"finger count" is funny (to me) because I still do math on my fingers in some instances. So this was nice, however it was packaged/came to be!

Comment

Working...
          X