With cunning I might steal her love unseen
    And pluck the rose from out within the briar

I shared with her the places of my soul
    Where neither light nor love before could cull
    I gave and yet somehow became more whole
    And by the time her love had blossomed full

My heart had found to its great disbelief
    That she'd become the crimson-handed thief
    Last edited by BiocideJ; 08-01-2018, 05:00 AM.

Unhand the rose,
    better yet
    seek heartsease

Comment

Just what I needed to read this morning BiocideJ ! It's been too long for sonnet reading and remembering. Really nicely done with this piece!

Comment

Well done, well done. I have to say I enjoyed this thoroughly, and was captured perfectly with it! You have breathed life into what others' might treat in a "trite" manner, but reminding me o that essence -- of caught attention. Captivation.

Kudos!

Comment

• BiocideJ
          BiocideJ commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you. This was written in response to a poetry challenge. To write a sonnet using roses and not make it seem cliche. Your comment encourages me thay I was able to accomplish this.

• amenOra
          amenOra commented
          Editing a comment
          . that's funny that I was so dead on, well, I don't think I wandered over to the competition (was it submitted as a response here?)

I just felt such what I said, and noticing it was in iambic (or a meter) and sonnet was a great thing, and I felt such an electricity in it, It's living poetry. Much of what I call romantic, darkly tinged. Just more UPs on this ... you did well with it. The volte worked well to shift things up thanks for sharing.

RhymeLovingWriter I've never really taken to the sonnet form before (this is only my second and the first in true Shakespearean form), but while on the one hand I find the lines a bit long (compared to what I've become comfortable with) I do find there is good freedom to really say what you mean. I'm sure this is why it is such a romantic form.

(this was meant to be a reply)

Comment

@Biocide .. that's funny that I was so dead on, well, I don't think I wandered over to the competition (was it submitted here?)

I just felt such what I said, and noticing it was in iambic (or a meter) and sonnet was a great thing, and I felt such an electricity in it, It's living poetry. Much of what I call romantic, darkly tinged. Just more UPs on this ... you did well with it. The volte worked well to shift things up thanks for sharing.

Comment

Elegantly handled form, and charming subject. Very accomplished piece, Biocide. I'm wondering if the tenth line could be rearranged slightly:

To: Where neither light nor love before could cull

Does that improve the flow, in your ear?

Comment

• BiocideJ
              BiocideJ commented
              Editing a comment
              Actually, I had considered that exact revision and for some reason thought it wouldn't work because it would disrupt the iambic pattern. In actuality setting it done, however, I see that not only does it not, but that it is actually less disruptive. Thank you for the feedback.

Nice sonnet biocide. I truly enjoyed it. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
            X