and marble telling the tale of lives,

outworn by lichened nature's claim,

is dumbstruck from the roll of time

yet still the pagan yew survives,

enshrined in thorned entanglement,

holding the songbird's lone lament

for twilight trembling on the brink

that marks the passing day's extent.

Last edited by Johntee; 05-14-2018, 06:46 AM. Reason: Rewritten to reorder the lines with a view to adding photos

Cadence, I love the clipped words and how they flow. Consent? To what? That's what I'm asking myself. Consent to the darkness, perhaps.
    Before I even read this I "sensed" the word deconstruction in the title. Sure enough it sorta fit!

It's a curious poem for what it represents, or could represent.
    A relative died a bit ago, sadly, and he is being buried today. I am not sure if I will go.

And the yew, I recall, can last so many years, If I'm not mistaken wasn't a yew found in Israel thousands of years old? Not even that large.

Anyway, a well rounded poem and I am glad you wrote it, that I can read it! Peace

Comment

• Johntee
      Johntee commented
      Editing a comment
      AmenOra your read was correct for the feel I wanted but ending on "consent" left it less definitely dark than I intended so I've rewritten a number of lines to leave it ending on "the passing day's extent" and with "sink" rhymed more truly with brink. I intended to add photos to this but my skill level is such I've had to repost to put photos on.
      Last edited by Johntee; 05-14-2018, 07:17 AM.

Absolutely beautiful - and spot on! Thank you.

Comment

• Johntee
      Johntee commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice to have you back RLW. I've reposted it to put photos on, in the process of which I find that Google's first offering for "deconsecrated" is "churches for sale"
Working...
X