• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Call for Submissions - 25 Rhyming Kyoka - Deadline May 31, 2018

25 Rhyming Kyoka: Call for Submissions
    On March 15, 2018
    Categories: Calls for Submissions, News, Press Releases

Please share with any appropriate venue.

The Special Features section of the Atlas Poetica web site is seeking submissions for a collection of ’25 Rhyming Kyoka’ to be edited by Michael H. Lester. This collection will be published on the AtlasPoetica.org website.

Rather than try to explain how kyoka differ from tanka, I refer you to M. Kei’s blog post on June 6, 2006, at kujakupoet.blogspot.com http://kujakupoet.blogspot.com/2006/06/kyoka_06.html for an illuminating discussion.

Feel free to experiment. I will be looking for well-written kyoka that contain rhymes or slant (almost) rhymes that do not call attention to themselves, but rather seem natural and unforced. The kyoka may be humorous or serious, light or dark, and may contain any subject matter that meets the general submission guidelines, which you should read thoroughly.

Here is a chance to express yourself freely—to untether yourself from the mannered tanka form and let your creativity take you to places you may have heretofore feared to tread.

Submissions: Poets are invited to send up to ten poems each, but only one poem may be chosen from each poet, in keeping with the theme and format of previous 25 poem Special Features on the Atlas Poetica website. We seek original poems; however, we will also consider kyoka previously published on personal social media accounts, as long as the poet provides publication information. We are not accepting tanka prose, or poetry that has been published in journals, books, or other collaborative websites prior to being submitted to the 25 Rhyming Kyoka Special Feature.

All poems must be submitted in English, but we will consider poems written in other languages if an English translation is provided. Correspondence for the anthology will be in English. All translators must be identified and the poet certifies that they have the translator’s permission to publish if selected. Translators will receive a byline.

As indicated above, the general Atlas Poetica guidelines apply; therefore, poets must be age 16 or older. Poems should be contained in the body of an email. Please query before sending attachments. To see the full list of guidelines, as well as Special Features from the past, go to the main web page.

Deadline: The deadline for submitting to 25 Rhyming Kyoka is May 31, 2018. The planned publication date is summer 2018. Special Features are published on an irregular schedule.

Email address for submissions: mhlester45 (at) gmail (dot) com with the subject line: 25 Rhyming Kyoka.

I look forward to your submissions!

Here are two examples in different styles:

eyes closed…
    wishing that morning
    happened at noon
    because I am so not
    finished napping yet

pink pajamas
    and a bunny rabbit tail
    she hops
    into the sandbox
    with a shovel and a pail

You can do it! Feel free to aks questions!

You make this look SO easy! Still working on it.

Comment

• Parkinsonspoet
      Parkinsonspoet commented
      Editing a comment
      I have had a go but I never got the hang of the Tanka so not confidant in this format but I will have another go at the weekend

Thank you, both, RLW and Pp!

Comment

Working...
    X