No announcement yet.

Beyond 4 February (or, Beside the Road)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beyond 4 February (or, Beside the Road)

The groundhog sat
    beside the road
    deciding that
    unlike the toad
    it would not go
    against the flow
    and meet the street

Muttado, you fibbed(in a good way) this is a series. Keep em coming. I look forward to them now!

Comment

• Muttado1sb
      Muttado1sb commented
      Editing a comment
      Well, I had this in my library from when ha'sonnets were new, so I figured I'd give you the groundhog one more time. Thanks, Bobby!

Excellent! I love it! . You really do excel with this form!

Comment

• Muttado1sb
      Muttado1sb commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, RLW! I’m glad you loved it again. :-)

Short and to the point. Liked it!

Comment

• Muttado1sb
      Muttado1sb commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you, AtL! The point of the form. :-)

Tell me about ha'sonnets
    now I recognise Beyond 2 Feb.
    as Punxatawny Phil.

Comment

• Muttado1sb
      Muttado1sb commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you, Johntee! I wasn’t thinking of cultural carryover when I wrote those two, so I’m glad you figured it out. :-)

Ha’sonnet’s are a short form of poetry invented by MHenry and Grant Hayes in May of 2016 in response to Suz-zen’s wonderful poem ‘Farewell, Farewell!’ They are roughly half of an Elizabethan style sonnet and follow some of those sonnet rules. They are seven lines of four syllables each. The first four lines set up the poem like the first two sonnet stanzas. The fifth and sixth line contain a little turn, like the third stanza. And the seventh line a resolution, like the final couplet. For MHenry and Grant Hayes rhyme was optional, but if used the end rhyme scheme tended to be a b a b c c dd with the seventh line (dd) rhyming on the second and fourth syllable. MHenry added a four syllable title rule suggestion later. Rhyming ones are easier for me, and I find them quite fun to write.
      Last edited by Muttado1sb; 02-06-2018, 05:31 PM.

Hello Muttado, A wise critter, the groundhog in this little verse, has a quirky lick to it, where a toad is used as a prop and the street, a stage. Excellent! A petite marvel in half a sonnet. Fond regards, Tony.

Comment

• Muttado1sb
      Muttado1sb commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you, Tony! All the world’s a stage and seeing a couple on a drive home set it for me. I’m happy you found it excellent.

Haha!

Wise rodent!

Comment

• Muttado1sb
      Muttado1sb commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you, DWAYNE! It is a wise one. I’m happy you enjoyed.
Working...
X