On cruelty, they’ll not renege,
    such makings their adventure.
    They’ll rid our kin to blight and plague,
    to famine and indenture.

Of empires won, hail, ‘Victory!’
    who’ll hail the vile invaders?
    Who’d dare rejoice such savagery,
    go reap yer bloodied acres.

Your poetry is replete with witty phrases and striking imagery!

Comment

• Tony Grannell
      Tony Grannell commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello Dwayne, Your fine words are so very much appreciated. Fond regards, Tony

A battle cry for all those who defend. Thank you Tony. My late father would have special favor for this I think

Comment

• Tony Grannell
      Tony Grannell commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello The second, Great to hear from you and that your late father might have enjoyed this one, a man after my own heart, I would imagine - may he rest in peace. All is well with you, I hope, Tony.

Very powerful Tony and vivid.

Comment

• Tony Grannell
      Tony Grannell commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello AlexandratheLate, Thank you very much, kind of you, indeed. Fond regards, Tony.

Where next is cast
    in steely style, the past
    is freely laboured.
    With buckle and swash
    the day is lost
    in welcoming new neighbours.

Comment

• Tony Grannell
      Tony Grannell commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello Johntee, Very well said indeed. You are in fine health, I hope, Tony.

Another epic adventure, vivid, violent and rousing.

Many creative turns of phrase...among my favorites 'oblige them their deservings', 'let gorge the crows on carrion', 'yield not yer ranks but fall ye brave'. Really, Tony, I see you up on a stage, brandishing a saber, bellowing this out to a crowd. Do you perform your works for show?

Comment

• Tony Grannell
      Tony Grannell commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello RhymeLovingWriter, No, but I would love to. Great fun, I would imagine. A warrior Celt of yore bellowing out foul and fear upon the accursed foe - hahaha! Delighted you enjoyed this one and thank you very much for your lovely words. Fond regards, Tony.

Shakespear and Tennyson live and speak through you in this verse. What a powerful battle cry. I cannot read it enough. Brilliant!

Comment

• Tony Grannell
      Tony Grannell commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello rhymetime, Lovely to hear from you and your wonderful response is so very much appreciated, truly. You are enjoying the new year, I hope, Tony.

Much applause Tony - a battle-cry for rebellion which, as Paula has said, could be performed on stage - as with so many of your poems. I'm wondering if you have even considered recording them?

Comment

• Tony Grannell
      Tony Grannell commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello Karen, Someday maybe, too busy at the moment having a good time - hahaha! Thank you very much for the applause, most kind of you indeed. Fond regards, Tony.

Another great story, Tony! Not everyone wants to be part of an empire - Roman, Spanish, British, Soviet, Mongol, American. In your wonderful poetic way you’ve captured that perspective.

‘Do you have a flag …? "No..." "Well, if you don't have a flag, then you can't have a country. Those are the rules... that I just made up!’ Eddie Izzard’s humorous take on the same subject from the imperial side.

Comment

• Tony Grannell
      Tony Grannell commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello Muttado, Great to hear from you and thank you so very much for the fine response. Two sides to every flag, honest folk will tell you this and the flagpole is the wrong colour, Mr Lzzard will tell you this - hahaha!. Fond regards, Tony.

The good time is shared by this reader! Fun aside it's also a timely message.

Comment

• Tony Grannell
      Tony Grannell commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello lunar glide, Delighted the new year sees you having a good time and may it continue. Timely indeed, there are still many who believe in empire, I even hate the word. Thank you very much for reading and responding. Fond regards, Tony.

another colourful tale ell told Hats off to you Tony

Comment

• Tony Grannell
      Tony Grannell commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello Parkinsonspoet, Great to hear from you and thank you very much for the fine response. You are in fine health, I hope, Tony.
Working...
X