Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Midnight Call

The Midnight Call

I’ll tell you a story (then follows my tear) about a tradition I’ve held very dear.

For near forty years now this track ran apace, New Year’s Eve at midnight by phone was a race.

Somehow it developed between sis and I to call Mom to ‘winch’ and in German we’d try

to make our well wishes, (and be the first one); to ring in the new year - it had to be done!

She’d wait for our calling and greet us with joy. We all were quite tickled and tried every ploy;

with number on speed dial - receiver in hand, to be the first caller was really quite grand.

The prize was a dollar (our ‘winch geld’ you know); sometimes by mere seconds we’d claim first “Hello”.

If signal was busy, that year was a bust but still she’d be waiting with wishes for us.

Tonight while reflecting, it dawned with surprise, she’ll no longer wait by the phone for our “Hi’s”.

No racing or speed dial - no dollar to claim. This year and forever it won’t be the same.

We’ll start new traditions, (she’d like that I’ll bet) but this is one blessing I’ll never forget.

So if you have someone you hold very dear (or even if not but you’re hurting this year)

remember at midnight that once was a race to be the first ‘wincher’…and I call that grace.

Happy New Year to you wonderful poets in the Zone!

I believe the actual word for 'wish' in German is 'wunsch' - but this is the way I learned it as a child and it stuck with me - so perhaps I'm channeling my inner child?

A beautiful start to the New Year Paula. Thank you for sharing. I think you and your sis should figure out a way to continue this tradition. I’m tempted to make suggestions but you both know the answers

Comment

• RhymeLovingWriter
      RhymeLovingWriter commented
      Editing a comment
      We called each other just at the stroke of midnight - and Dad too - and I called my daughter as well. Then I sat back, had a good cry, and wished Mom a happy new year in heaven - no matter how silly that sounds! Happy New Year to you and yours as well Bobby!

Paula, your mission, should you choose to accept, is to never call those sentiments “silly” again.

Comment

Sweet nostalgic expressions of love.

Comment

• RhymeLovingWriter
        RhymeLovingWriter commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Alex. It would be too strong a description to say I was 'dreading' the moment which so many years before this one had been marked with joy - but it definitely wasn't the same without her voice. Still, her spirit holds strong in the memory, and I'm so very grateful for all the years we had to play out our little tradition.
    Working...
    X