• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In Madding Hunger

Boom! Boom! Went the shotgun,
    and there were feathers everywhere.
    “The bloody crows, that’ll teach ’em,
    they won’t spoil my spuds.” He’d say.
    “You can’t spoil what’s already spoiled!” She’d shout.
    “The spuds, the damn spuds,
    they’re rotten, rotten to the core!” She’d shout.
    Shoutin’; shoutin’ in hunger everyday
    ’till she could shout no more.
    The priest blessed her,
    the undertaker put her under
    and the gravedigger filled her in.

She was never seen again.
    “Near dead, meself
    but you don’t hear me shoutin -
    shoutin’ won’t fill the belly” He’d say,
    hung jowled with hunger,
    gapin’ into the maw of madness.
    "’Tis the crows, the damn crows, he’d say,
    spoilin’ everythin’
    with their cawin’ an’ shoutin’!”
    Boom! Boom! Went the shotgun
    and she was never seen again.

Lovely shift at the end. It reminded me of the Movie, 1922. It was adapted after a Stephen King movie, and there is atleast one shotgun in it. It has the gritty feel, of experience, portrayed here, too.

Bickering husband and wife. Settled by death. He settled it. A typical theme of consternation 'driving us mad'.

I am not sure how I feel, whether I like the word "madding" which maybe i've heard before but never used. I always added the -en as addition to the word. Getting used to it!

Thanks for sharing, Tony. Kudos--

Comment

• Tony Grannell
      Tony Grannell commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello amenOra, Madding, an old word, I believe, often used from where I hail, so, too, madded, 'He madded me with his arrogance.' That being said, in my case, that is, he title of this poem, it's actually a typo, meant to use the word maddening - sounds better - In Maddening Hunger - the blunt 'n' sound. Delighted you enjoyed the grit in this one and your fine response is very much appreciated. Fond regards, Tony.

“Madding” Irish slang and brogue I presume. Anyway, I would love to know where this originated from your storied imagination and where you were when you wrote it. Five stars and caws!

Comment

• Tony Grannell
      Tony Grannell commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello Bobby, Solely from my imagination, some time ago, actually, never happy with it - too long. Edited it this past week, cut it way back to give it a short, sharp, shock like the boom of a shotgun. I reloaded here, in Valencia. Thank you very much for the five stars and the cacophony of caws, most kind of you indeed. Fond regards, Tony.

A gathering of crows has always made my skin crawl!

Quite a tale you tell, complete with a twist.

The priest blessed her,
    the undertaker put her under
    and the gravedigger filled her in

Great phrase!

Vintage Tony!

Comment

• Tony Grannell
      Tony Grannell commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello Dwayne, They would indeed give one the jitters; no wonder the call such a gathering: an argument. Thank you very much, I'm delighted you enjoyed this tall tale of mine. Wishing you fine health and happiness, Tony.

Did the old story 'Far from the Madding Crowd' influence your creative process here Tony? I never read the entire story, but vaguely remember the title.

Comment

• Tony Grannell
      Tony Grannell commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello RhymeLovingWriter, In a word, no, but I greatly admire Hardy. I think I have read all his works, especially love his poems, somewhat unusual for a great novelist to be also a great poet. Thank you very much for taking the time to read and respond, kind of you indeed. Fond regards, Tony.
Working...
X