No promise of return
    Without warmth abound

Yet smouldering fires
    Reignite in the open
    Peatlands and forests
    Leaving grey ash hoping

Invoking Smokey , kind of neat.

Comment

I've read this several times Karen, trying to picture in my mind the literal description of the setting. It begs the wonder in me though, to a consider a wider, metaphorical application. Was there a photo prompt with this one too, or are you in fact alluding to a situation rather than setting?

Comment

• mooneyblack
        mooneyblack commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi Paula, yes I'm alluding to a situation prompted by a reference to older age being 'grey'. Of how ageing can be associated with the diminishing of the fire/passion within ourselves and or, relationships; how you can be left when the passion/interest goes cold. Equally how that can remain but perhaps not so visible and be reignited - if that makes sense - just where my mind wandered with it.

• RhymeLovingWriter
        RhymeLovingWriter commented
        Editing a comment
        I've heard that too - and can definitely see how you captured it here. Thanks for elaborating.

I’ve used ashes and fire and embers a lot in my poetry so I’m a fan. Great job Mooneyblack.

Comment

• mooneyblack
        mooneyblack commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you, AtL; much appreciated.

Hello Karen, All that the smouldering peat needs, is a gush of wind to rouse it into flame or when an old poet takes to wing on a gust of inspiration. A lovely poem from the peatlands of turf diggers and fireside poets. Excellent! Fond regards, Tony.

Comment

• mooneyblack
        mooneyblack commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you, Tony; "may the wind be always at your back" Cheers Karen
    Working...
    X