Clear All

• How Much of the Universe Are We?

How much of the universe are we?

How much of everything there is, am I?

How much do we affect what comes to be?

When I begin to cry,

Do ancient ocean planets start to dry?

Does each blink become a fearsome storm,

With winds whipping and ripping apart nebulas?

Do formed civilizations start to tumble,

When my stomach starts to grumble?

When I breathe,

Does that destroy some form of alien tree?

A forestry started by some lonely alien father,

A farmer, that will never know

His forests untimely death,

Was caused by a human's single breath.

Matter always was, will we always have a say?

Will it always matter?

Will the matter go away?

Will formed things and great beings—

—Be a lonely human’s memory?

Whose brain will eventually decay and spread, through the earth like butter on bread—

—Just spreading across the earth’s crust.

And when the earth goes up in flames,

Will in some way those thoughts remain?

Could you find their hope in the heavy smoke?

Will their fears burn up in the atmosphere,

And when all the fire is and done,

Where in the universe is everyone?

How much ground will we cover, in the loose rubble,

How much spread will we have,

When we’re dead?

How will we affect eternity?

How much of the universe are we?

Wow, benjaminallentx this is amazing. A true masterpiece, this one. Many of these things I have thought about myself, definitely not with the same dignity or perfect order of words you have concocted here, but it's good to know someone thinks along the same lines as I do. Again, wow. There is so much to uncover here, I will be sure to read it again and again and again...

Comment

• benjaminallentx
      benjaminallentx commented
      Editing a comment
      What an absolutely lovely compliment! I’m really really glad you enjoyed it.
      I don’t think there’s really much dignity to it, it’s a selfish desire honestly, that we humans think we’re the most important. It’s can get kind of silly the amount we think we matter. But maybe we really do! I don’t know.
      I’m once again flattered though! Thank you for your feedback.

Expansive, intriguing, the pondering of a philosopher. It makes me wonder how any one of us can develop a big ego - the kind we see on the national and international stages all the time. Really enjoyed this benjaminallentx.

Comment

Thank you, benjaminallen, for this heartfelt litany of big questions, which ponders the extent to which we are destroyers of worlds - by our mere existence - and also the destroyed. The bookending question 'How much of the universe are we?' puts the emphasis on quantification, which is interrogated thoroughly in what lies between.

How much? .... not 'Why are we here?' or 'What does it all mean?' but a question of dimension and effect. I like this approach; it's interesting.

Does the universe have a memory? I like to think it has; a selective memory that preserves what is essential. In so far as we participate in that essence, we may be preserved, in a way we cannot yet fathom, seen through a glass darkly. I also like to reflect on humanity's role as the median and skin of the universe: median - we are conscious of vast magnitude beyond us and the infinitesimal within us; skin - we are, to some extent, the universe experiencing itself, up against the void, the conscious interface of being and non-being. We are like a pinch of atoms in relation to the whole, yet our minds can conceive of its vastness, and even begin to comprehend it, by slow degrees. We are both next-to-nothing and portals of infinity, from stardust stirred up, and to stardust returning, in the great doom of our beloved sun, and the great hope of its recurrence.
      Last edited by grant hayes; 11-05-2017, 09:52 PM.

Comment

“Juju’s pedals” Jimmy Stewart. Funny how an old Xmas movie can answer so many questions. Why does the earth exist, perhaps it’s just Gods gift. Yet your questions ring so true when feeling all alone. Nice writing.

Comment

I am but the dust of the stars and the universe for things I’ll never know. Wonderfully thoughtful poem, benjamin!

Comment

Some great themes here , great read with food for thought what more could I ask?

Comment

Working...
            X