fear alone. Even in a costume,
    you're naked.

Here, wipe from your lips
    the last of the
    creamy pink heart-shaped
    candy corn
    and whisper to me:
    Where did all the dreams go?

Very creative - from title to finish - Monica Mack. It does make me mourn lost innocence though - I feel it was still around when I was growing up, and my sheltered life provided much of it.

Comment

Thank you, RhymeLovingWriter, for your kind words about Val-Hal! That "lost innocence" you mention was around when I was growing up, too, and, like you, I attribute much of it to my own sheltered life. I looked forward at the first promise of spring to Valentine's Day, and I eagerly watched the trees glowing russet just in time for Halloween. Those were my two favorite holidays. Monica

Comment

Brilliant, Monica. Not a word wasted here, and an insightful concept. After all that comingling of fear and love and costumes, I found the final stanza quite haunting, especially in its introduction of a second person, with lips and whisper, and final question. Wonderful.

Comment

Thank you so very much, grant hayes, for your very thoughtful comment about Val-Hal, two holidays from childhood that were very dear to me once. And your praise means a great deal to me. Monica

Comment

Wonderful Monica and good to hear from you. What a journey - happy sad.

Comment

Working...
            X