Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Narmer Palette

Deleted
    Last edited by grant hayes; 12-26-2017, 06:30 PM.

For those who may be meticulous: I have referred to 'slate' and 'greywacke' as the mineral materials of this artifact. Actually, it is made of siltstone. That I have employed the other terms is a matter of poetic licence.

Such ceremonial palettes from this period are often made of greywacke, and this particular one is sometimes said to be as well.
    Last edited by grant hayes; 10-25-2017, 06:41 PM.

Comment

Take all the license you want, when you write like this:

Stride and falling kneel
      fulfil a raptor's mandate
      under gawping skies:

Kudos poet. Kudos!

Comment

Thank you, Dwayne. I guess this is archaeo-ekphrasis, of an analytical kind. Too dry for poetic treatment, I suspect.

Comment

An old flint arrowhead found in furrowed field, only a poet would ponder who shot it. I liked it Grant. Here, here, to our little tribe.

Comment

• grant hayes
            grant hayes commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm glad you liked it, divot. I daresay that an archaeologist might also ponder thus. There is a poetry in that discipline which is all-too-easily smothered by scientism (distinct from being scientific).

This is quite beautiful Grant. You mentioned in another post of the 'analytical' nature of your writing - yet I find beauty right alongside. To take the knowledge you have (factual and far reaching) and turn it with dialectic precision into a passage of wonder which commands, confuses, or celebrates - is gift. Thank you for each gem you share.

Comment

• DWAYNE
            DWAYNE commented
            Editing a comment
            I second that!

That is very kind, Rhymist, thank you, indeed. If I can assemble salient aspects of the object or image - material, function, details, symbol, implication, subjective effect - and work them all into a short form, then perhaps I have comprehended it. As to whether I have transmitted that comprehension, well, results may vary. But the process is edifying.

Comment

Working...
          X