above an ambivalent whisper?

Will freedom's stalwarts
    at last awaken
    from their zombified rut?
    For the hour has come
    to choose
    with whom we stand,
    and for what!

It's a simple, effective gesture of protest and the rants about firing those who make it are the thrashings of a desperate egotist. An elegant and appropriate presidential response to the protesters would be to defend their right to express their views in this non-violent way, and to be even more eager to invite them to the White House.

Comment

It would require objectivity and a nuanced approach, this narcissists is clearly adverse to.

Respect for the office, and adherence to the oath he took, would mean recognizing that constitutional values implore a leader to defend the rights of all citizens.

Even those he disagrees with.

Comment

• grant hayes
        grant hayes commented
        Editing a comment
        A mature leader would listen to the appellants, admit there's an actual problem, and commit to work out a solution, with alacrity. Instead, we see intemperate, knee-jerk rants and undignified grandstanding. If anyone should be fired, it's the members of the constabulary who abuse their authority; fired and incarcerated, if necessary. And yet it's the simple non-violent protest that causes rage.

Simplified, he talks to the mass’s, no punches pulled. Barroom speeches. Not the way a President should talk, unless of course it is to be captured on some uncovered tape, hidden away for posterity. The unvarnished truth revealed. The media sit like vulture, in their naked tree, preying on rating. Eloquently deciphering his every word. I stand for the anthem, I stand for free speech aren’t they one and the same. (Whitney Houston’s rendition please).

Another flash in the pan, fools gold again, 1968 history repeats itself.

Comment

History does indeed repeat itself.
        The simple fact is that he, and many others who choose to focus upon respect for the flag, despite the fact that it has been repeatedly stated that THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THAT, are using patriotism to divert from the ISSUE.

Ironically, they are more concerned with a piece of cloth, than the senseless killing of their fellow-citizens, in violation of that most fundamental right, LIFE!!

I have NO expectation that the current occupant of the White House will address THAT isssue!

It is the ignorance, and defiance of the citizenry that is habitually disheartening!
        Last edited by DWAYNE; 09-26-2017, 04:51 AM.

Comment

• divot
          divot commented
          Editing a comment
          Just my effort to see it from both sides of the coin, that’s still in the air. Of course he (Colin) could have used a different platform, perhaps a headband in Jim McMahon fashion and get fined by the league. A young black man needs a job, selling drugs does not qualify as employment. He might help in that regard.
          One can only kick the can down the road, until your leg is tried or your shoe wears out.
          “I’m wearing sandals, you kick the can“. Jesus Christ I think.

I realize that the manner of protest does not sit well with many people, but few realize that he got the idea for kneeling from a military veteran, who suggested that he kneel, just as some in the military do, in remembrance of their fallen comrades.

Kaepernick is doing plenty of work, relief funds for Puerto Rico, donating around $1 million for groups that stand up for women, children, poor people, minorities, and military veterans.

I am not sure where selling drugs comes into the equation, plenty of black men in a variety of professions, me included.

I am not sure I understand you correctly, please explain.
        Last edited by DWAYNE; 09-26-2017, 12:36 PM.

Comment

Maturity followed by action would require taking a hard look at ourselves (all people). Sad that most are not able to be honest with themselves and therefore think no action is needed. An eloquent poem Dwayne.

Comment

Working...
          X