Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Close Enough

Close Enough
    (A solar eclipse sonnet - Petrarchan style)

When moon eclipses sun – celestial feat
    of lunar shadow painting swath of gray
    from west to east across the U.S.A. –
    it’s rare enough to qualify as treat.

Spent hand grenades and horse shoes come to mind
    to title near-full wonder we espied.
    With son and husband standing by my side,
    a memory was born (the sweetest kind).

So what if full totality lay out
    of hearth and home vicinity this day?
    Does that negate our ‘understudy part’?
    Some future day may find us moved about.
    Wherever we stand then, our stance today
    was close enough to count, within my heart.

Wasn't it beautiful.

Comment

• RhymeLovingWriter
      RhymeLovingWriter commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes - and we were at an area that got about 98% eclipsed - still felt the effects. Did you get to see totality?

Nicely done, RLW! The feelings of the event well told in your solar sonnet. It's nice you got to enjoy it with your family. I enjoyed it at work with coworkers. We had about 80% here.

Comment

• RhymeLovingWriter
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Muttado1sb. It's quite something to see and I'm thankful there is technology to safely observe it. After reviewing this I realize it's not a strict or true Petrarchan sonnet (ABBA, ABBA, CDECDE). Leave it to me to add my own twist (ABBA, CDDC, EBFEBF). My heart was in the right place...close enough.

This is, as ever, superbly structured. I had to read it several times, not to understand but to enjoy. I suppose I was put off by the overly expository description of the eclipse itself in the first stanza, but I realized more clearly on further readings that it does a necessary job. The image of the 'spent hand grenade' in the second stanza is clever and vivid per se, but I found its inclusion bemusing. It's the last stanza that gathers to a greatness, with the final lines attaining a truly moving eloquence.

Comment

• RhymeLovingWriter
      Editing a comment
      Thank you Grant. I guess I needed all three stanzas to tell the story. As we were leaving the college (where we'd gathered to witness) I made the comment that it would have been nice to have planned to be in the path of totality, and then concluded with ,"Oh well, close enough." That phrase started to turn itself around, gathering up the wool of the old saying "close enough for horse shoes and hand grenades", and the rest spun itself into the thread of my newest habit - working to be content in the moment. I'm glad it brought enjoyment - and that you persevered the several turns it took to find it.

"close enough for horse shoes and hand grenades", is a phrase I've never heard before.
    Hand grenades is understandable but I thought pitched horseshoes were meant
    to hook the post to score, or is it like bowls where the tape measure comes out?

Comment

• RhymeLovingWriter
      Editing a comment
      The way I learned to play it was 3 points for a ringer, 2 points for a leaner, and 1 point for any shoes w/in one horseshoe of the post (which sounds like bowls - I've never heard of that). Perhaps that's only one variation of the game, but that's where I learned the phrase.

• Johntee
      Johntee commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the info. continuing my education. The equivalent that would be in my vocab. is "Near enough is Good enough."
      Much more prosaic than your phrase.

• Muttado1sb
      Muttado1sb commented
      Editing a comment
      'Close enough for horseshoes and handgrenades' is a phrase I've heard and used since I was a child, along with 'close enough for government work.' It was fun to see you reference it in a poem, RLW!

I was in vacation in the US during the eclipse (yay!), but was in Iowa; it was overcast that day, so I didn't see the eclipse (not yay). That aside, a wonderful poem! I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Comment

• RhymeLovingWriter
      Editing a comment
      Vacation always sounds fun, and you were not alone in having an overcast sky mute the effect. It was rather cloudy here, but we donned special eyewear anyway and took a gander. We could see it through the clouds, and did have a good view! Thank you for the comment. I'm glad you enjoyed it.
Working...
X