No announcement yet.

The stare of her toys

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grant There are a few mysterious names, but not necessarily presences, who come along from time to time; it could even be you with another hat on. My take, considering the uniformity of response, is that, RLW apart, none of us have more than a tabloid acquaintance with the subject, The pipeline that resulted from your piece illustrates, to my mind, a central division that poetry contains.
    Language has a lot of redundancy built in to ensure that concepts transfer from mind to mind unchanged. Dialog is a "handshaking" process that confirms assumed information transmission. "Okay. So. Right Yes" and further confirmed by the response it obtains. It relies on a commonality of experience. Prose (excepting Becket) mimics this. Poetry, in searching for the exact word to align with the writer's thought, pares down and generally removes all redundancy. Emotion, because it is built in at a low level, survives this well, other things still need a dialog but each person is really their own universe and different interpretations present a personal multiverse of takes. Before language arose only images could have floated through the work-space called consciousness and locked within the mind that saw it. Something that artists perhaps see just the shore of. Imagine Prehistoric cave art, Lascaux and all the other sites, coming from this. Which came first language or art?

Comment

• grant hayes
      grant hayes commented
      Editing a comment
      I hear you, Johntee, about this division of poetry and its reduction of redundancy. Thank you for this insightful comment on the pipeline-that-ensued. The beginnings of spoken language and their relation to image-making are beyond my ken (though not my curiosity). As language and art both involve semeiosis, I imagine they emerged in mutual dependence.

Grant, you are a scholar and a poet there is no denying it! The best response (that I know of) to the question posed by Johntee is in the Cratylus, yet Shakespeare still asks "where is fancy bread? in the heart or in the head?" your language, poetry, and wordplay touches both and has its place in some infinite series..
    critics are inconsolable.
    Last edited by lunar glide; 08-11-2017, 09:01 AM.

Comment

• grant hayes
      grant hayes commented
      Editing a comment
      Lunar glide, I am a sigil's reflection in stone-struck water. I'd like to be what you say, but poetastery may be my destiny.

This poem I understood as a little girl who's father died while they were out togerther and she isn't sure of what is going on in the aftermath, in shock sitting to the side hugging her toys. I was happy to have possibly interpreted another one of your poems, a process I enjoy as I learn a lot from your poems even if I do not figure them out. And I also learn from the comments that always follow them. Your style is different than mine, or RLW's, rhymetime's, AtL's, Pp's, or any of the other poets in this site. Much like the differences between a Jackson Pollock and a Grandma Moses, or Ornette Coleman and Imagine Dragons, I may not understand all of what they produce, nor may I enjoy all of it, but I can appreciate what goes into it.

Comment

• grant hayes
      grant hayes commented
      Editing a comment
      Muttado, I think MrY's point is that my stuff does not deserve to be *worked out*, and that well-meaning forum-users ought not to mistake my obscurity for depth or quality. Rather, they should see my stuff for the garbled humbug it is and give it short shrift. She/he(?) may be correct. But thank you for persisting with the material; I may yet reach some kind of proficiency.

I must apologize for my late comment, as I have just come around after some time away.

This poem is one of my favourites.

Ironically, I find this poem LESS OBSCURE, than some of his others.

What I enjoy about Mr. Hayes' poetry, is the VERY FACT that it is often obscure, or open to a number of interpretations.

His style challenges the reader to view the work through his/her own lens.

Sometimes, the best art is that which requires the reader to delve beyond the obvious, or superficial, and interpret the work in a way that is personally meaningful.

Mr. Hayes' work makes me THINK and FEEL.
    Art is most successful when it does that.

As for critique, I have been critiqued by some, including Mr. Hayes, sometimes sharply, and when constructive criticism is geared towards improving the work, I welcome it.

He has sometimes expressed strong opinions on what he viewed as flaws in my work, but he has NEVER insulted me in the process.

I have seen Mr. Hayes' work critiqued on a number of occasions, and he has critiqued others as well.

I disagree as to him receiving a free pass. In fact, often the first person to offer the most harsh critique of his work, is HIM!

He has, on occasion, removed work he did not find worthy of posting!

I have NEVER known him to pander for either readers or praise.

The simple fact is that his work is exceptional.

No one is forced to read it, they read it because he often brings a unique style, form and content to this forum.

I do not believe in attacking anyone.
    If I like a poem, I say so. And if I feel compelled to offer further comment, I do so.

There is nothing wrong with critiquing someone's work, but I encourage everyone to avoid being insolent.

This only deters people from contributing their work, to this forum.
    Last edited by DWAYNE; 08-18-2017, 08:09 AM.

Comment

Working...
    X