Regurgitating the past,
    since we all prefer,
    the clothing of youth
    for a shroud, we don’t care

Shall we slow down the clock
    of your life and mine?
    Shall we critically assess
    what merits our time?

Although I sense your frustration, there is a vibrancy conveyed also in this motion-filled lament.

Comment

• mooneyblack
      mooneyblack commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you, Paula. Yes, there is a hope that we can take control.

Very nice, mooneyblack! If we could but slow time down. I sense as I get older that time speeds up; a feeling that yesterday was this morning, last year was last week. So many more pulls on our time. But you are right, we need to ask if they are all necessary.

Comment

• mooneyblack
      mooneyblack commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you, Muttado 1sb. I too share your sense of things speeding up but also feel that as you get older you have more confidence to question the merit of some of the things that 'steal' out time.

The choice of how to use our precious time which is so short. Very well said Mooneyblack.

Comment

• mooneyblack
      mooneyblack commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you, ATL. I need to take my own advice!

And yet, if we remember, and believe we are eternal souls, we've got plenty of time!

Comment

• Johntee
      Johntee commented
      Editing a comment
      With that sort of time regrets get amplified

• mooneyblack
      mooneyblack commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes Bobby, if only I had that faith. I am minded of the Steve Millar Band song 'Fly Like an Eagle' where 'time keeps on slippin, slippin, slippin into the future'

Let's. Conscientiousness.
    At the same time, in another time maybe, poems are written about speeding time up cuz everyone's so slow.
    But not this time!

Good job. I noticed there wasn't any images in this. Not a bad or good thing, just an observation...

Beyond all the qualities I believe we wish most to "not waste" and to "enjoy".
    There's a real fear of wasting life, and time.
    We want our choices to mean something, and matter. What would bring us contentedness?

Understanding? I think that's a big step.

Anyway, I could muse longer but your piece is short and warrants the same: No need to waste time, thakya!

Comment

• mooneyblack
      mooneyblack commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you, amenOra. The images in my mind were of Chronus but I now realise that I did not communicate this effectively enough so I may revisit this one. I really appreciate your feedback.

Thanks all for the reads and comments they are much appreciated. This was prompted by reading a blog about how poetry can 'cradle a moment' or indeed slow down time. As RhymeLovingWriter said there is a sense of frustration but also hope that we can take control and I do believe that poetry, especially writing it, does slow you down to focus on the subject at hand - works for me anyway!
    My thoughts on us consuming the future were loosely connected, in my mind, to Chronus, the keeper of time in Greek mythology but perhaps I should have made that connection more specific - I may revise this one.

Comment

Working...
    X