Her mission in life for heroics sake, refugees freedom she did espouse
    Born in Roseneath, New Zealand, the year was nineteen twelve
    her legacy upon her death, spared many from satanic hell

Despised by the Nazis, labeled Gestapo's most hated and wanted
    she schemed against Adolf Hitler, determined and always undaunted
    For Jews and British airmen, she aided their final escape
    enrolled as an ambulance driver, she secretly changed their fate

Joining the French Resistance, smuggling messages and food underground
    "The White Mouse" put her life on the line, her achievements deemed quite profound
    Recruited to serve as a courier, for months as a spy she trained
    parachuted by plane into region Auvergne, radio contact for allies maintained

On one occasion she cycled three days,wireless codes were destroyed in a raid
    producing fake papers at German checkpoints, her courage was once more displayed
    Asked to help organize the local Maquis, she fought along side them bravely
    no thoughts of the danger, the battles were bloody, she gave of her self freely

Awarded nine medals, including "Badge in Gold",she made New Zealand proud
    with courage and mettle, heroically bold, her bravery declared avowed
    As we honor her lesson, conquering hate, love is a better option
    she passed to the heavens, age of ninety eight, gone but never forgotten

Thank you for celebrating this justly famous warrior, Bobby. I would add that she made Australia proud, as she moved here with her family while still a baby, and grew up here. She spent much of her postwar life here - with forays in the UK - living at Port Macquarie in New South Wales.

Comment

Thanks Bobby this is a new slice of history that I enjoyed learning. Quite appropriate as it was International Womens Day earlier this week

Comment

grant hayesParkinsonspoet you both have brought up key points after reading my tribute. A friend I made while in Ireland is from New Zealand. He posted a written article about the White Mouse on Facebook, on International Women's Day I might add. When I read it I had to write about her. And Grant, sorry I left those important details out. I was aware and could have kept writing forever. A true honor to have my 2 Aussie poet friends take a look and read.

Comment

• Parkinsonspoet
          Parkinsonspoet commented
          Editing a comment
          Bobby I thank you for making me an honoraryAussie(with Grant I am in good company) hoever I would be an imposter I am English

Excellent! Thank you for sharing this tribute.

Comment

Parkinsonspoet how silly of me. Sorry! By the way, I am English too..From the tree anyway.....

Comment

lunar glide thank you for the look and read.

Comment

I didn't know this particular name or piece of history either Bobby - but now I have a new point of reference and desire to know more. Thank you for this stirring tribute in rhymezone style!

Comment

RhymeLovingWriter thank you for the look and read. Here is a link for further review:http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4158112/
                Last edited by Bobby Del Boy; 03-11-2017, 07:46 AM.

Comment

I knew a poet from New Zealand.

wow, this was great. never heard about this story, since im American. kinda.

great job. I used to live on Avon pl. no relation, tho.

Comment

amenOra you're not alone. A friend from New Zealand shared The White Mouse's story on Facebook. I read it and was compelled to write about her. When I shared on Facebook, it kinda blew up Facebook for a few days. Many then shared her story also, and that is a good thing. Thanks for the look and read.

Comment

• amenOra
                      amenOra commented
                      Editing a comment
                      youknow Lord of the Rings? they shot tons of the movie there, too.

amenOra I am familiar with the series, but did not know that. Would like to make it there one day.

Comment

insanely beautiful. as Madagascar is to Africa, so is New Zealand to Australia, imho.

Comment

Working...
                      X