The Carpenter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Carpenter

For months I've wanted to write a poem for the Carpenter. I hope you enjoy...

The Carpenter

For fifty years he's worked with wood
    the love of his life makes him feel good
    Cutting and shaping his heart's content
    his eyes focused, his posture bent

He measures twice and only cuts once
    this work of art he's worked for months
    Sanding the wood and working the lathe
    a train for grandson eternally saved

A lasting legacy when his work is done
    stained mahogany bench in the sun
    No sense of time he's in the zone
    his treasured art surrounds his home

Pine, poplar, maple and oak
    lost in his craft no word was spoke
    Never a worry or thought of regrets
    a carpenter's life,as good as it gets

Thank you, Bobby! The combination of your wonderful poem and this picture bring me back into my childhood. I love working with wood, and at some point considered it as my professional career. But unfortunately it is getting harder and harder to find a customer who appreciates loving handwork and will pay a fair price for it. People just bye plastic b*lls*it from IKEA or Walmart.

Comment

Wonderful poem. You did an amazing job describing the carpenter!

Comment

AnatoliyS thank you for sharing your story as I too was a contractor and dabbled in carpentry for 30 years.

Comment

a beautiful ode to the carpenter, and an art that i admire!! Well done Bobby Del Boy

Comment

LovesDaisies Suz-zen a joy to have you two beautiful souls grace my page. Glad you enjoyed.

Comment

Wonderful ode Bobby! I've long admired any who can create beautiful objects through diligent and faithful craftsmanship - your poem honors the carpenter as well as yourself.

Comment

RhymeLovingWriter we are all lucky in love with the arts. Thank you for your comments and the pleasure of your commentary.

Comment

• The second
                  The second commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Bobby I loved this much! After changing careers, ten years now, from food service to painter I work with many carpenters on a daily bases. We in the industry have a few funny phrases. A good painter makes an average carpenter look great. Pot smoking leads to carpentry and looks good from my house Thank You again!

The second lol, you are a man of many talents. You can paint my house any time. Thanks for the read and comment. Keep making us all laugh!

Comment

Beautiful piece, Bobby! I love quality work of carpenters too! My husband grandfather was a carpenter and my husband and his brothers do carpentry as well... My son (16) also did some woodwork in school and gave me his beautiful work as presents ( a tray, a shelf a cutting board) This past Christmas, he surprised my husband a side table! I really appreciate you sharing this!
                  Last edited by imrogue; 01-29-2017, 04:37 AM.

Comment

imrogue so it runs in the family. I also took wood shop in high school and made a wooden ash tray for my Mom. Treasured memories made from wood. So happy this resonated with you. Thank you for sharing your own family treasures.

Comment

Hello Bobby, A noble occupation and a noble poem in its portrayal of man shaping wood as you have shaped this fine verse. An excellent tribute indeed. Regards, Tony.

Comment

Working...
                      X