Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Epiphany

Deleted
    Last edited by grant hayes; 12-25-2017, 08:27 PM.

cool. move with the slippery streets, wear the tread to balance. I dont know lol

thanks, grant hayes.

epiphany in an ironical way, maybe? I dont know. lol

Comment

• grant hayes
      grant hayes commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, quite ironical, amenOra. Thank you for dropping by.

hi grant hayes i am letting this rain on me .... I see the rubber dots.Have they fallen off> the rubber dots? Or has some else? Who?
    Must read again to get to my Epiphany (one of my favorite words)
    Are we giving the City Service guys the slip?
    Or will I slip? the rain? No runner dots?
    Are we looking for Jesus?????????
    Ok- reading again. I like this!

Comment

• grant hayes
      grant hayes commented
      Editing a comment
      It's a good, Greek word, Suz-zen, but my poem is bad and English

Dear Grant, Stay on platform to slay another day. Let those who are trained to do a job keep us safe?

Comment

• grant hayes
      grant hayes commented
      Editing a comment
      I have no choice but to slay another day, The second. The dead are heaped around me, but I do not feel heroic yet.

I probably should have pointed out that the 'city service' refers to a scheduled train, and the platform is that of a railway station. I daresay that may clear things up a bit.

Comment

Hello grant, The ranks of rubber falling out of the rain and into the carriages, a slippery endeavour and to do so en mass, warfare and the commute. Excellent, grant. Regards, Tony.

Comment

• grant hayes
        grant hayes commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you for engaging with this odd squib, Tony!

I couldn t tie the slippery platform, the dots the city service (train) to epiphany or I couldn't connect the dots. I keep going back to the title. Everyone loves a good mystery, obviously.

Comment

Bobby, the little dots are actual little dots of rubber that have been stuck to the surface of the train platform along its edge. Their purpose is to create a grip to stop commuters slipping as they board and alight from the train. But most of them have fallen off. The subject of the poem is running on the platform in the rain, and realizes (his 'epiphany') the absence of the dots underfoot just as a train (the 'city service') approaches and he slips over. The rest is left to the reader's imagination. This situation can be taken at face value, or as a metaphor. The title is ironic.

Comment

I really enjoy endings that are left upto the reader ☺ A fine connection made at the train station.
          Last edited by lunar glide; 01-25-2017, 09:42 AM.

Comment

• grant hayes
            grant hayes commented
            Editing a comment
            ..........☺

I actually took this one at face value for a change Grant. Could even conjure a picture in my head - though I didn't go to a gruesome end - only a minor calamity. Again, I compliment you on the situational awareness that can take perhaps a casual observance and turn it into art. Bravo!

Comment

• grant hayes
            grant hayes commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi Rhymist. Originally I ended it at the seventh line 'You're running', which is more suggestive and makes the reader work a little harder. I wondered whether it might qualify as a ha'sonnet. But then I decided to make the sense of imminent calamity more obvious. A weakness is the cultural specificity of 'city service', which makes sense where I'm from, but isn't immediately accessible to those from farther climes.

The central image is drawn directly from real life.

I guess I don't always write riddlingly, but bemuse even so ☺

• RhymeLovingWriter
            RhymeLovingWriter commented
            Editing a comment
            That's OK, it's part of your 'masculine mystique' - gotta' keep the yin/yang alive!

Hi grant hayes I did recognize the train station immediately and have many times seen the black dots in real life running for a train/subway and certainly as metaphor... telling me to STOP! You are going to slip..... there is an oncoming city service (did not know that term).... scheduled (metaphor).... known! Epiphany!!

BRAVO!!

Comment

• grant hayes
            grant hayes commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi Suz-zen. Yes, I drop the ball a bit with 'city service', though I can't resist its multivalence. ☺

I can depend on you always to find metaphor in the ostensible. Thank you for persisting with this piece!

Grant by some fluke this was another I understood but it didn't excite me like most of yours do. For me it did not have your stamp on it.A simple concept, straightford language. I disagree that its a bad poem. Lunar Glide said we could recognise the regular poets from their poetry but I would not have guessed at you from this. A good poem and nice read thank you.

Comment

• grant hayes
            grant hayes commented
            Editing a comment
            You're right, Parkinsonspoet; it is quite different from my usual fare. It came to me virtually complete as I was actually looking at these patchy dots, in the rain, moving along a platform to catch the 'city service'. It does have enough devices in it to satisfy me that it is, in fact, a poem, so I thought 'Why not share it?' ☺ Thank you for this thoughtful assessment.

I love the deep simplicity in this. To say so much in so little words is a true feat. You are the poet I aspire to be, grant.

Comment

• grant hayes
            grant hayes commented
            Editing a comment
            I seek a more expansive style, Darthvader, and find it very difficult not to compress and lock-step my lines. This, for me, is kind of loose and colloquial - and still simple. I would like to be able to sustain this style over longer pieces. Thank you for dropping by, and for your gracious compliment.

• lunar glide
            lunar glide commented
            Editing a comment
            Maybe you should try this kind of poetry on the fly more often although you must not forsake your gift for compression. I daresay when you strike the right balance your poetry will reach the perfection reserved for immortal masters like mozart or goethe.

• grant hayes
            grant hayes commented
            Editing a comment
            I've managed to put more 'heart' into my poems in recent times, thanks to feedback on the Zone; the other challenge is to do as you suggest here, lunar glide. I will keep working at it, and not 'working' at it

Been there, a few times!

Comment

• grant hayes
            grant hayes commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm glad you're still here to tell the tale, Dwayne! 😉
        Working...
        X