We stand alone
    In stormy nights—
    in scorching heat
    Under the sun

Divine rescue
    Intention's cued—
    Ward off evils—
    Endlessly still

Last edited by imrogue; 01-12-2017, 03:29 PM.

I must admit that gargoyles have always sort of freaked me out. I saw a movie when I was quite young that had some gargoyles in it and it scared the wits out of me!

Here you skillfully bring out, in strict 4 syllable count lines, the real reason they were used to decorate buildings. Very nicely done.

Comment

• imrogue
      imrogue commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks RLW! yeah they are kind of freaky. There was a cartoon show I liked to watch with the kids They were good gargoyles! lol

Hello imrogue, You have done with poetry what sculptors have done with chisel and stone. Excellent! Regards, Tony.

Comment

• imrogue
      imrogue commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for a very generous, humbling compliment Tony! (blush)

I like the concept and your strong, simple diction here, imrogue. Excellent use of the strict syllable count! My only reservation concerns the first two lines. I feel that 'grotesque' is too obviously explicatory for poetical gargoyles (ah, adjectives...) and that 'quite' tempers the repulsive to tepid.

Comment

• imrogue
      imrogue commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi Grant! Thanks for reading and commenting on this piece. I wondered before when you made a comment about the usage of the word 'quite' in one of my poems. I never understood why until now...(being a stubborn person that I am) I did not realize that there were graded and non- graded adjectives...and it does make sense to me now that I made the effort to look it up! What a learning experience for me! I really appreciate your feedback! 😊 I am now using 'horrifying' instead of 'quite repulsive' to keep the syllable count. Will that be
      better than 'detestable' (also 4 syllables) ?

P.S.

I kept the "grotesque" to point out the obvious form of this particular sculpture because Some gargoyles
      come in less beastly looks.
      Last edited by imrogue; 01-13-2017, 02:14 AM.

• grant hayes
      grant hayes commented
      Editing a comment
      I do think 'horrifying' improves markedly on 'quite repulsive'. I concede to your judgement on 'grotesque'.

Thanks again Grant! 😊

Comment

Working...
    X