and you can't keep everything
    So with the slam
    of the hammer
    a finality
    the last of the
    unkeepable
    memories are

Sold

Hello Muttado, A verse of realisation and hammered home with a thump of, nothing lasts forever! You have sorted out your past with a firmness of purpose A resolute verse and skilfully composed. Excellent! Regards, Tony.

Comment

• Muttado1sb
      Muttado1sb commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you, Tony. This was a personal write for me. It came in the moment. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

I love this Muttado1sb
    the memories and the things.... you get to pick and choose what to keep.
    I hear the hammer.
    Brilliant.

Comment

• Muttado1sb
      Muttado1sb commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, Suz-zen, though it can feel uncomfortable to hear that hammer. Thanks for reading.
      Last edited by Muttado1sb; 11-28-2016, 08:22 PM.

As hard as it is, and as beautiful as memories are - this is so necessary. We can't live in the past, but we can treasure it. Sounds like you found the best to carry forward with you and the rest - you let go. Pretty healthy way to live.

Comment

• Muttado1sb
      Muttado1sb commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, RLW. Though it may be the right thing, I do not recommend actually attending an estate auction of someone you loved. Thanks for the read.
      Last edited by Muttado1sb; 02-18-2017, 07:50 PM.

Even though we must let go of tangible reminders of the past, the past remains in our thoughts to delight and surprise us at random. Such is the bittersweet of life. Very tender and Universal poetics, M.

Comment

• Suz-zen
      Suz-zen commented
      Editing a comment
      bitter bitter sweet sweet MHenry. well said

• Muttado1sb
      Muttado1sb commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you, MHenry. Bittersweet is right. Thank you for reading.

A poignant reflection on the ties between hearts, stuff, and change - top drawer, Muttado. I particularly like the pause before the final 'Sold', which comes across as fateful but also a release.

Comment

• Muttado1sb
      Muttado1sb commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you, Grant. I added the pause as I thought about it, to hold on to the memory for a bit longer. Thank you for giving it a read.

The decisions you reflect in your writing will always cause heartache and indecision. Nice write, thanks for sharing.

Comment

• Muttado1sb
      Muttado1sb commented
      Editing a comment
      You are welcome, docstorm. Heartache and indecision are what they are. Thank you for reading.

I think the ending in particular is great! you've packed a great deal of life into this poem and with a clever unique format.I really enjoyed this!

Comment

• Muttado1sb
      Muttado1sb commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you, lunar glide. It came to me while I waited for the auction and I wrote what came out. It did take a little cleanup (and could possibly use more but I won't give it) but it worked well for me. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for reading.

Been there none that, saved to much. That box of nuts and screws sure came in handy, thanks DAD. A very relatable poem you've penned.

Comment

• Muttado1sb
      Muttado1sb commented
      Editing a comment
      Both the banal and the valuable can bring up memories. And both sell at auction. Glad you could relate to it, divot.

Ponderous work.

I am a sentimental person, and I have, at times, found it difficult to let the inanimate things, that animate the memory, go.

I was forced to realize that the past can only be cherished, but never recaptured, and perhaps, for the sake of present appreciation, this is best.

Comment

• Muttado1sb
      Muttado1sb commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you, DWAYNE! Inanimate things that animate the memory is what they are. But you are right, you have to move forward.

What makes a great poem is reader response. When the reader thinks " that's it, exactly how it feels " that's a great poem. This poem does just that.

Comment

• Muttado1sb
      Muttado1sb commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you, rhymetime, you are too kind. I'm happy that my poem made you think that's how it feels, too, because that is how it felt.
Working...
X