Up Mount Olympus he does climb
    A dagger clenched tight in his teeth

At its top he finds a boulder
    Its brief inscription chills his heart
    Lest you bear this on your shoulder
    You would be wise to soon depart

So down the mount the mortal went
    His daring lost his anger spent
    Last edited by MHenry; 11-15-2016, 06:38 PM.

I see here a mighty description of great bombasity until faced with reality.
    Love it

Comment

Another sweeping write; majestically phrased audacity turned into a (cowardly?) avoidance of doom... Nice!
      I can't help but wonder what you'd do to Sisyphus...

Comment

A well wrought sonnet in fine antique style. I must say this doughty mortal perplexes me: at the outset bold enough to challenge the gods themselves (some nerve) and then put off by a mere inscription. I imagine a hero intent on storming Olympus single-handed would not be so easily daunted. But the sonnet must end neatly, I suppose.

Comment

Thank you all for indulging!
          Perhaps this bold adventurer knew of Sisyphus' fate and decided discretion was the better part of valor, lest he end up like poor Sisyphus.
          Truth be told, however, it is more a function of But the sonnet must end neatly, I suppose.
          Grant, Sensei hits the nail on the head again, as usual!
          To continue this faint-hearted hero's journey would have required another poetic form, and significantly more brain-wracking than this poor scribbler can muster.

Comment

Though I never think to challenge gods (merely the mount of my own limitations), there have been a few days when I felt to be 'nearly Sisyphus'. I enjoyed this a lot. So nice to read your verse more regularly again!

Comment

• MHenry
              MHenry commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you, RLW. It is a comfort to know you are always there and supporting all of us. RZ should give you a special designation! Queen of the Zone!

Mr. Henry, can you get me out from under this stone? You rolled another one over me! You are great where I greatly lack!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• MHenry
              MHenry commented
              Editing a comment
              You have your own wonderful voice TS, and together we all make a chorus! Thanks for visiting and supporting!

a turtle myself I can relate to this one!

Comment

• MHenry
              MHenry commented
              Editing a comment
              Hi, lg, Thanks for the visit and comment. I don't see you as a turtle, more like a poet in a turtle neck sweater!

I got a great plan! I got a great plan! I got a great plan. I got a... I got a bad plan. I got a bad plan! The miss of Sisyphus. Very enjoyable, MHenry!

Comment

• MHenry
              MHenry commented
              Editing a comment
              This mere mortal could not anticipate the fate that awaited him at the top of Olympus, Muttado1sb, and having studied his mythology decided it made more sense to go back down the mount and vote for Donald Trump. Let's see how THAT works out! Thanks for visiting and commenting!

MHenry This is amazing!! And kind of funny as my sister called ME, yes yours truly... Sisyphus!!!....just this past weekend....We had a an almost day long text conversation about this fellow and his struggle and his aim and what the F is was he 'up to' really???...please forgive the pun! Your piece here is a marvel! I will with your permission share w/ her ???

IN AWE.....great writing!

Comment

• RhymeLovingWriter
              RhymeLovingWriter commented
              Editing a comment
              Wow - this is the kind of coincidence that makes me just sit up and listen - there's a message for you in there somewhere Suz-zen - I'm sure of it.

• MHenry
              MHenry commented
              Editing a comment
              Hi, Suz-zen! This is not our first coincidence. Remember the marble poem! Of course, you may share this with your sister. I am so glad you liked this, and I sure the 'coincidence' has a lot to do with your special attention to this wimpy-ended sonnet!

Beyond the literal and artistic brilliance, is that stark truth which is indicative of too many of us.

We we begin with bluster, and then, once confronted with hardship, slink into surrender.

Excellent.

Comment

Thank you so much, Dwayne. Yes, I agree with you and lunar glide. The few times I have blustered and waved a bludgeon, I have timidly withdrawn. 99% of the time, I will not bluster and wave the bludgeon in the first instance, content to let the impetuous youth climb the mountain and find the inscription, which I now presume to be there in every case without having to look.

Comment

MHenry , I'm "Just a guy in the diner" and not a student of mythology but I did learn something here. You wrote another gem and I now know a little mythology. I can go on other forums now and make believe I always knew! Thanks for the education.

Comment

• MHenry
                  MHenry commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Do I see a Leonard Cohen quote there? Was he waiting for Janis to show up with a bottle? Thanks for the look and the comment, Bobby. There is much for all of us to learn here. I have learned much from all of you.

I liked this and the ending made me think of some teenagers i know brash and bold of intention but if needed to shoulder a boulder would probably slink back to bed.

Comment

• MHenry
                  MHenry commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thank you, Pp. I am glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for indulging. Yes, if it weren't for youth, many mountains would go unscaled, but only a few of them will ever reach the top, and fewer still unscathed.
              Working...
              X