Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your Execution May Be Televised (R.I.P. Terence Crutcher)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AlexandratheLate
    replied
    I respect what has been said here. While I believe Mr Crutcher should have stopped as directed by the police - having dated a decent law abiding black man for a while and seeing him subjected to continual harassment of being constantly stopped and frisked for no reason - he has never used drugs, been in jail or imprisoned- something I would never have believed happened had I not witnessed this first hand, as I stated before if I was black, I might have given in to the fear and run. That's why we must learn to accord everyone dignity and respect. Treat others as we would like to be treated.

Leave a comment:

• rhymetime
    commented on 's reply
    Thank you DWANE

• DWAYNE
    commented on 's reply
    Totally agree!

While blacks comprise only 13% of the American population as compared to whites 64%, blacks make up 40% of the prison population while white make up only 39% of the population.

While whites and blacks use marijuana at the same rate, blacks are arrested for marijuana possession three times more than whites. This has more to do with the fact that police tend to police black areas more aggressively than white ones.

The stop and frisk statistics bear that out!

According to the NYPD's own statistics, 54% of people stopped and frisked by the department, were Black, 29% of of them were Latino, and only 11% of them were white. Of the total stops, less than 20% resulted in even minor charges!

By the way, blacks make up only 25% of the population of New York City, latinos make up 28% of the population, while whites make up 44% of the population!
    Last edited by DWAYNE; 09-23-2016, 06:51 AM.

• Parkinsonspoet
    replied
    I have no direct knowledge of the incident that is being discussed so I can't say why it happened someone is dead another has killed. Two tragedies that need action to lessen the chance of a repeat. The right to bear arms is a fallacy that worsens the situation but I think we should take great care of statistics What do they mean? I give you an example-more white people shot than black but there are more white people in the US than black so which is more likely to be shot? I do not have an answer and if I did what would it mean.

There is an issue here debate, emotion, disagreement ok but any name calling and personal remarks just cheapen the views of the person making the remarks.

Leave a comment:

• DWAYNE
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks for reading, and commenting.

I do not expect everyone to agree with my opinion. You are just as entitled to yours, as I am to mine.
    There are a number of opinions on what happened. I respect them all.

Anyone who wishes to respectfully disagree and/or state their reasons for disagreeing, should feel free to comment.
    I appreciate the many enlightened remarks I read here.

That being said, my issue is with the institutional conditions that have lead to prejudices, and aggressive policing of black people in America. That is what the poem was intended to address.

It is extremely frustrating when black people continue to express the negative interactions with police, and many people refuse to even admit that there is any validity to their claims.

This is not just the extreme cases when someone is killed, but everyday interactions that have created a tense relationship with law enforcement.

Some blacks, who have been prejudged, and mistreated based on those prejudices, then become prejudice themselves. This is a shame.
    Last edited by DWAYNE; 09-22-2016, 01:37 PM.

• John Wertz
    commented on 's reply
    I could not agree more.

• John Wertz
    commented on 's reply
    Darthvader, thank you for you comment. Your thoughts are well taken, although I would suggest to you that as long as we have police (thank god) who exercise the legitimate use of force on behalf of the state, we will have fatal incidents and that some of these will be not justified by the circumstances, some will even be criminal acts. What is different now is that there is a more than usual push to demagogue each incident. We can not know what was in this police woman's heart when she pulled the trigger. But, I think we can safely say that this was in no way an execution. To portray it as such puts race relations backwards, and this is the reason that I believe it is harmful and dishonest to say or write such
    things. I do not believe that this was the result of a misunderstanding. Mr. Crutcher understood full well that he had an obligation to comply. He chose not to.

• Darthvader
    replied
    DWAYNE
    I believe that there is sometimes corruption within the police department and that there should be something done about the situation so that it doesn't happen again. I don't really truly know what happened as I wasn't there so I can't state a concrete opinion, but I can say that I think that whatever happened is incredibly sad, whether or not it was based on racial prejudices.

John Wertz
    I do not think the woman killed Mr. Crutcher just because he was black, but my opinion of that doesn't really matter. What does matter is that we fix whatever caused this misunderstanding so that it doesn't happen again. May we all be more carefull and including of others and who they are.

And Dwayne, I thought the poem was wonderfully writen and had great ideas and well-placed emotion. Thank you.

Leave a comment:

• lunar glide
    replied
    this is all coincident with a human existential crisis. the world needs writers to illuminate better paths.
    poetry can be a light and humanity is speeding in the darkness.

Leave a comment:

• DWAYNE
    replied
    Suz-zen, I agree with you.

I have expressed strong opinions about my poems, and others.

Sometimes I strongly disagree with someone's opinion. However, I certainly do not malign their work, and call them a liar.

That would, of course, cross the line, antagonize the other party, and we could no longer have civil discourse.

I WELCOME respectful disagreement.

How do you grow, if you never challenge yourself?

Leave a comment:

• DWAYNE
    commented on 's reply
    I do not consider that racist.

Being fallible individuals, we may prejudge, or be fearful of being prejudged. That is human.

It takes moral strength, and courage,
    to face these fears and potential biases.

We all make snap judgments from time to time. The question is, do we challenge ourselves, when we do?

Do we mistreat others based on preconceived notions, or do we demand fairness of ourselves?

All anyone can ask of another human being is to: recognize, and affirm, the humanity of everybody; presume the good character of others, until proven otherwise; and
    to treat others as you would like others to treat you.
    Last edited by DWAYNE; 09-22-2016, 10:57 AM.

• Suz-zen
    commented on 's reply
    Sadly or gladly John we were not there. And we did not have to make that decision.
    You and DWAYNE both have a right to say what you think without calling for punishment for the opinion. My police office friends, detectives and all have agreed there is a problem. In quiet conversations we agree that calling out one another does nothing to help with the anger that just might be justified on both sides. Love to both.

• Suz-zen
    commented on 's reply
    http://www.wbur.org/news/2016/09/20/...to-flee-police

• John Wertz
    commented on 's reply
    Oh, we are all so very nice people here RLW. We should all be from California! ha ha.

• John Wertz
    commented on 's reply
    Hello Suz-zen

I disagree. The statistics have everything to do with it. Dwayne goes form this one incident and in the last three stanza makes a general point that the police are out hunting back men. The statistics disprove this. http://scholar.harvard.edu/fryer/pub...lice-use-force The researcher, who is black, said that the finding was the biggest surprise of his life.

If you were that police officer and someone was calling you a murderer, and executioner, knew nothing about you and did not have all the facts, reprehensible is not too strong a term (at least I did not flag his piece as he probably did mine). It is important to remember that the police do not have the luxury you and I have of just walking away. For all who think they would know how to handle Mr. Crutcher (who it appears had more going on than just car problems) you are deceiving yourselves. I've seen some bad police shooting (Charleston for instance) ; this one is less clear and the video likely does not show it all. I do not grieve Mr Crutcher, who is perhaps in a better place. I do grieve for this poor woman whose life is ruined and who will be trashed by the media and demagogue politicians, and may well do some jail time.
    Last edited by John Wertz; 09-22-2016, 10:22 AM.
Working...
X