No other pacifier sought

I want my way with you

No idle threat – action required

I want my way with you

No solo endeavor planned

I want my way with you

No other fits the bill

And if compliance becomes your creed
    Have you any idea to what you’ve agreed?

©RhymeLovingWriter 2016

Last edited by RhymeLovingWriter; 08-28-2016, 05:46 AM.

I love this
    despite what others might think

I love this
    a statement of how much

I love this
    ​​​​​​the form and the concept

I doubt it was really the intent of your writing, but this really does show how difficult it can be at times to convey meaning with the written word alone simply because of how differently the same string of words can be interpreted.
    Last edited by BiocideJ; 08-19-2016, 10:38 AM.

Comment

• RhymeLovingWriter
      RhymeLovingWriter commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks BJ. I have no idea why things come into my head this way, but it seemed an interesting study and I thought I'd try to turn it into a 'poem'. Thank YOU (no way to bold or underline in comments) for your response!

Hi, RLW, This is a clever, thinking piece. It is interesting how the meaning changes depending on what word one emphasizes. If one emphasizes none of the words, then every word has equal emphasis and encompasses all of the meanings at once!
    Last edited by MHenry; 08-19-2016, 11:22 AM.

Comment

• RhymeLovingWriter
      Editing a comment
      Well, one thing I don't think I've ever been called is monotone MHenry, so this proved a fun study in playing with emphasis! Thanks for the look, like, and as always, thoughtful comment.

Excellent case study for English classes, Rhymist. Certainly opens minds to the ambiguities and potential of written language, and also to the role of intonation in conveying meaning.

Comment

• RhymeLovingWriter
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Grant. Since I've never had the patience of a real, dedicated grammarian, this kind of playing around the edges appeals much more to me. Thank you for the look, like, and astute observation!

• grant hayes
      grant hayes commented
      Editing a comment
      It illustrates the point far more effectively than real, dedicated grammarians can manage.

Looking at this again makes me wonder, how DO poets/writers indicate when they want to emphasize a specific word for the right meaning in a sentence? I don't think in typical published books I recall seeing the use of bold letters (I could be mistaken) and the all caps seems like a rather modern and somewhat crude way to go about emphasizing words.

Comment

• lunar glide
      lunar glide commented
      Editing a comment
      is context sufficient?. poets don't always write to be understood though..

• CeramicCornflake
      CeramicCornflake commented
      Editing a comment
      I use italics to emphasize. Sometimes I'll use caps if someone is shouting, but not in super serious stuff.

Clever, imaginative, intriguing, poignant write!

Comment

• RhymeLovingWriter
      Editing a comment
      Thanks DWAYNE. I appreciate your look, like, and comment. Those descriptors are pretty kind too!

This is very intriguing RLW. Love the format. Nicely done.

Comment

Thanks for the like Suz-zen!

Comment

And if compliance becomes your creed. Have you any idea to what you’ve agreed?
        No clue RLW, but you leave us no choice! He said/She said: I'm intrigued.
        Same here

Comment

• BiocideJ
          BiocideJ commented
          Editing a comment
          Funny, I somehow missed those lines on my first read. I wonder if it has something to do with the edit notes below them making it look less important.

• RhymeLovingWriter
          Editing a comment
          I went back and added additional line spaces at the end. Does that help?

• BiocideJ
          BiocideJ commented
          Editing a comment
          It should, but it's tough to gauge how well I would have seem something when I already know to look for it.
      Working...
      X