The shire works in quiet dignity
    Tractor engine roar incessantly
    Seems ironic at this hour
    Each tractor claims horsepower

Stoic horse your strength was key
    Former farming productivity
    Former glory we can review
    Memmories remain stuck with glue
    Last edited by Parkinsonspoet; 08-06-2016, 02:21 AM.

You have gracefully retired this tractor, Pp. It makes me think of how I, too, will soon be put to pasture to rust and gather cobwebs.

Comment

Since I come from the country, farm country of the mid-west plains, this has a really nostalgic tone I like Parkinsonspoet. It's not too melancholy - but rather a thoughtful look back at what was and forward to what will be. The first stanza is particularly (almost literally) relevant to me, as my Dad has just in the past month started to sell off some of the bigger machinery that he farmed with the past 30+ years. It's got to bittersweet indeed. Thank you. I enjoyed this very much.
      Last edited by RhymeLovingWriter; 08-07-2016, 09:03 AM.

Comment

MHenry and RhymeLovingWriter Thank you so much for your comments I had already wondered whether I was happy with balance of this. I read this again and saw your comments about the tractor-it is actually about shire horses.I have added 3 extra verses which I believe redress the imbalnce can you tell me what you both think now.

Comment

A memory of simpler times. A well written tribute to a fine animal. I liked your clever references to horse power and glue.

Comment

My Mum has a thing about shire horsesI intend to compile some of my poetry for her)-glad you noticed the mention of glue Thank you

Comment

What a noble piece about the shire Pp, nostalgic with reverence and respect for this beautiful beast.

Comment

Yes, it is more clear with these new verses Parkinsonspoet - and the story feels even more complete! Perhaps my own background and memories played into my engagement with the first version - I think now clearly that it did. I find it honorable that you write verse with your Mum in mind - I'm sure her fondness for shire horses would make this one a hit!

Comment

I only got to read this after the addition but I think it's wonderful. can't think of a better way to honor the shire horse or your mothers fondness for them.

Comment

Working...
                  X