crossing paths, mapping diligent
    vast highways of creation, will know
    blessing after having encountered you

for in the end all depends on
    God
    you
    and all that flows between

©RhymeLovingWriter 2016

Your word choices are consistently wonderful, RLW, I particularly love the last two lines of the first three stanzas! par excellence!

Comment

• RhymeLovingWriter
      RhymeLovingWriter commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you MHenry. It's been helping to expand my vocabulary here in the zone!

I think that if moral instruction were presented this way, it might make more of an impression. It is clear, but requires effort from the reader, too. And it manages to make obedience to the imperative - 'behave' - something that involves aspiration and possibility. It's not simply a 'thou shalt not', nor a call to impossible standards; it challenges the reader to rise to their best self.

Comment

• RhymeLovingWriter
      RhymeLovingWriter commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Grant - for this insightful comment. You know when I started this one, I had the phrase 'behave well' in my head. It's a thing I always said to our children when we were going out and they were staying home w/out us. Instead of 'behave yourself' or the shorter version 'behave' (because that left all manner of possibilities open) I'd say 'behave well'. Then I thought of other words that often follow that imperative '...well beyond, well within, well-kept, and well enough' were the four that presented for consideration. There may be others, but those then became the openings for the stanzas. I wasn't sure of the closing, because I didn't want to sound like I was on some moral high ground, but since God is my strength, it seemed OK. I also wasn't sure if the structuring, with 'behave' all by itself, looked too harsh. I first had it with 'behave well' separate, but then decided that 'well' fit better with the words that followed and that 'behave' could stand alone. It sounds, from your comment, like I may have struck an acceptable middle ground. Thank you for taking time to share your thoughts.

• grant hayes
      grant hayes commented
      Editing a comment
      Actually, I like the boldness of 'behave'. I have no patience for coy platitudes, such as those that flood social media. The single imperative - unqualified - commands attention, but the initial sternness is tempered by the wisdom of what follows.
Working...
X