to a bare shoulder
    crying out for
    connection
    while the message
    is clear

i must isolate
    myself

from you

Suz-zen, I was uncertain where this lovely poem was journeying, and was surprised at where it ended up. Nicely Done. While simply worded, the images are complex and reverberate.

Comment

• Suz-zen
      Suz-zen commented
      Editing a comment
      Tanner thanks for stopping by here. I was not sure where i was going to go with this when i started thinking about this last night. it felt right to end it so. a good therapist actually' wrote ' that last (kind of) long ago. Something that was shared in a conversation that stuck with me.

Wow! Suz-zen! I love this! Reading your goosebumps gives me goosebumps! This is a deeply personal and intimate poem, and the ending is an astonishing turn! Masterful and so beautifully written.

Comment

• Suz-zen
      Suz-zen commented
      Editing a comment
      MHenry that is is.... oh so personal.... thank you for the generous praise ... A final ode to a long lost 'love'....

Intriguing title Suz-zen ties the whole piece together helping the reader to see this thoughtful and emotional write from many viewpoints

Comment

• Suz-zen
      Suz-zen commented
      Editing a comment
      thank you bobby Del Boy. I had inserted braille in he piece and then removed it as i felt it was redundant. it was quite emotional for me at a time about 5 or more years ago... it only came clear to me of late.

Measured prose, vivid with exactitude, mournful, cautionary, longing.

Excellent.

Comment

• Suz-zen
      Suz-zen commented
      Editing a comment
      than you DWAYNE for your astute observations and interpretation. As always appreciated...

cautionary, yes.

Suz-zen - I loved the first two stanzas and was anticipating a wonderful romantic close. But life apparently intervened - and so another truth evolved. But I too, absolutely love the image and phrasing of 'reading goosebumps' and 'language of your history'. Absolutely top-drawer writing here. Poignantly beautiful.

Comment

RhymeLovingWriter thank you!
      I have toyed with a different/ romantic ending to this story in my busy day. Look for it in another post... the beauty of the creative mind and fantasy.. also envisioning what many times becomes a reality. a type of prayer I believe....

Comment

• Merkavah
        Merkavah commented
        Editing a comment
        Well, I must say that I really like how this is written and cannot possibly see how a romantic ending would be nearly as well-written... but I suppose in the interest of possibility it can't hurt to try?

"Willing to feel what fears to be spoken" is, for me, the best part of the poem. I think particularly as 'I did what felt right to me' is often used in situations where we should have stepped away to isolate ourselves from harming others around us. And here it was the one who "struggles to see in their darkness" who acted beyond normal fears. ... That's how I read it at least ...

(Sidenote: revelation rather than revealtion I would imagine.)

• Suz-zen
        Suz-zen commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi Merkavah, thank you for commenting. I appreciate this. I tried to make a fairy-tale ending to this last night. I did not get on the R-zone and just sat with this thought. It did not come so i let it go. What you 'read' is what i felt and had hoped in my small way had tried to convey from a very deep place to others that may have experienced something like that...i like revealation !! thx!!!
        Last edited by Suz-zen; 07-28-2016, 10:56 AM.

In its suspension of contact at the end, this poem strikes a felling blow, Suz-zen. The intimate braille/goosebump/touch cluster leads to a moving counterpoint.

Comment

• Suz-zen
        Suz-zen commented
        Editing a comment
        thanks grant hayes,
        real life experiences for me, very personal ones of emotional growth, love, pain, more growth, when given some passing time do seem to allow some revealing sprouting words to allow the experience to vaporize from my mind.... or maybe it is more like weeds that are in there that need to be pulled. Until i can name them (see them) they keep crowding the flowers... kind of a Zen thing! Anyway, i digress! thank you for the lovely words! No weeds in your garden dear grant!

the braille goosebum connection is genius. and the concluding resignation even in the shape of the poem. I'm taken to the idea of a hand letting go in the sad gesture that love is finished...and you and your writing an extension of you reduced to just the few necessary words.

Comment

• RhymeLovingWriter
        RhymeLovingWriter commented
        Editing a comment
        That is beautiful LG!

• Suz-zen
        Suz-zen commented
        Editing a comment
        thank you @lunar glide... and it was finished... in reality for years!!
        ... after this poem, at long last ...in my heart and mind. Tied up all of the emotional loose ends. Healing poetry this one. In Greek there is saying, roughly translated simply:"less words"...
    Working...
    X