• Julia

Julia

July maiden picnics on dewdrops
    Under the spell of her spider’s lyre
    One calla lily in her arms
    A partner in Spirit of kindness
    With lofty ambition
    To cradle the Earth with love

Lovely, Suz-zen! I love the first three lines the most, as they are the ones that put me under a spell!

Comment

• Suz-zen
      Suz-zen commented
      Editing a comment
      The Calla Lily has special meaning for my friend and i... for many years! All of the images here have meaning to her/me. Thank you MHenry for letting me know which lines resonated with you. It always means a lot to hear!

oh yes! this ode to July is wonderful!!

Comment

"July maiden picnics on dewdrops"

While the entire verse was beautiful the first line reverberates in my minds eye. Most lovely.

Comment

• Suz-zen
        Suz-zen commented
        Editing a comment
        thank you rt! i saw my friend in this when i closed my eyes...

Lovely, lyrical write Suz-zen, using some of your poetic magic to bring both beauty and encouragement to the present moments.

Comment

• Suz-zen
        Suz-zen commented
        Editing a comment
        you are so sweet and generous with your praise RLT! thank you! grateful for you!

I've come back to this one short but sweet and imo perfect! I think the best poem I've read in a while. your literal imagination cannot be overpraised!
      Last edited by lunar glide; 07-17-2016, 01:59 PM.

Comment

• Suz-zen
        Suz-zen commented
        Editing a comment
        thank you lg! i am pleased to report that my friend, Julia wrote to me today that she was flattered and touched by the gorgeous poem... whew! Then (she is a nurse) said she was sharing it with her phlebotomist... and with that I scratched my head!

Thank you all for reading this ode to July inspired by my friend Julia (roommate in college and still friends). Her birthday was July 10th and I was writing in her birthday card yesterday, that her face inspires art and her birth in summer had inspired poetry...
      this poem came out of me. It went in the mail. Hope she likes it!

Comment

This would work perfectly with John Lennon's Julia serenading your friend while reading... Lovely, Suz-zen!

Comment

• Suz-zen
          Suz-zen commented
          Editing a comment
          Bobby Del Boy i had forgotten about this song to his mother! What a pretty tune and lyrics! thanks for reminding me.. i just played it.

Another Suz-zen gem for the growing trove. Really lovely poem! 'her spider's lyre' Yes!

Comment

• Suz-zen
          Suz-zen commented
          Editing a comment
          thanks grant hayes for engaging with this one
          the spider has many o' metaphor!
      Working...
      X