and left me speechless

What was my crime?
    What heinous felony
    did I commit, pray tell?
    Of course, you would not say
    You never do

Oh, my God!
    Was today our anniversary!?

I thoroughly enjoy your master of the kicker (or whatever proper poetic term there is for it - is there one?) of the ending of your verse MHenry. Have you always written in this preferred style, or is it something you've had to consciously try to learn and include in your work (because it is there more often than not)?
    Last edited by RhymeLovingWriter; 07-16-2016, 10:35 AM.

Comment

• MHenry
      MHenry commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi. RLW, Thank you for reading and engaging. You raise a very interesting question about the use of the surprise ending, kicker, or Henrician turn, as our beloved grant hayes calls it. I honestly don't know what draws me to those kinds of endings, but I guess I must like them, and I think I have always used some kind of surprise in my work even decades before I discovered I wanted to try my hand at poetry. For one thing, the 'kickers' surprise and delight me, and perhaps it is a kind of reward to myself for working so hard to get to the ending. When you feel you have written yourself out of a piece, you either have to abandon it or end it. The surprise ending can save a weak piece and it can end one that has petered out. Finally, I do like irreverent humor, and that may influence my choice of ending. I can only stay serious so long if I am in a good mood. What I do know is that I did not consciously make an effort to learn to do this. It is apparently something in my head that has always been there and that needs or wants to come out.

A kick in the pants MH. :-). Your surprise endings are a tribute to your creativity. I look forward to reading your work. Another outstanding poem.

Comment

• MHenry
      MHenry commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you, AG, I am glad you enjoyed this one. You know the pleasure one gets from writing something others can enjoy. I appreciate your constant support and the great work you post here.

Hilarious!

Be careful what you wish for!

Comment

• MHenry
      MHenry commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh, I've been there, Dwayne! The worst one was when I remembered the wrong anniversary date. When chastised, I innocently (stupidly) said, 'oh, that was my first wife's anniversary.' Wrong again, she said, you didn't even get that date right. And of course, she was right! Thanks for the look!

MHenry congratulations so funny but so true to life

Comment

• MHenry
      MHenry commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, as I was telling Dwayne, it could be worse, and for me, it was! Thanks for the look and the comment Pp!

You had me all fired up. Great Work. Take away the last 2 lines you have a serious work. Add them and poof a comedy. Well place words are amazing.

Comment

• MHenry
      MHenry commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi, rt, Thanks for engaging. The inspiration for this piece came from a comment I made in one of my posts 'What could I do but shrug?'. I wanted to use that expression in a poem, and this is what came out of it. At what point in the writing did I know the ending? Probably not until I wrote it.

• Suz-zen
      Suz-zen commented
      Editing a comment
      Great assessment!

lol !!! this is so good

Comment

• MHenry
      MHenry commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, lg, I am glad you got a laugh out of this!

All's well that ends well? Another Gem Oh Henry MHenry!

Comment

• MHenry
      MHenry commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, BDB! The surprise ending is why jokes are so much fun I guess! We love to be surprised.

Now it's time for a surprise anniversary party where neither of you know the date

Comment

MHenry who can't relate to this? Your second stanza is really my favorite.
      the entire piece is strong!

Comment

• MHenry
        MHenry commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you, Suz-zen! You are always full of encouragement!

A situation I haven't quite, found myself in. Enjoyable, MH!

Comment

• MHenry
        MHenry commented
        Editing a comment
        My congratulations, then, Muttado1sb! It's more uncomfortable than an airline seat. Of that you can be sure! Thanks for the look and the comment!

There's a lively comedic Shakespearean ghost haunting this wry piece of Henrician turnery. Yes, if Zone poets were a banter-sprouting, dagger-sporting troupe of Tudor street toughs, you'd be known as 'Harry the Turn'.

Comment

• MHenry
        MHenry commented
        Editing a comment
        Aside from the fact that the comment swells my head, it is a wonderfully written one, and Harry the Turn is great. I suppose it is now incumbent upon us to give all of us appropriate nicknames.

And so, this is an open call to all Zoners to suggest nicknames to populate this gang of word-spewing hoodlums and marsupials!

For grant, I am thinking something like the Silver-tongued Sphinx!
    Working...
    X