filling blanks in history of you
    take note
    take notes
    ‘flash before your eyes’ an understatement
    next generation in chronicle of graves – yours
    unique after a fashion
    played out in your lines

©RhymeLovingWriter 2016

Introspective. Putting our descendants in our shoes and us in our graves to be ill-remembered and finally forgotten.
    Very nice write, RLW!

Comment

• RhymeLovingWriter
      RhymeLovingWriter commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks MHenry. We heard a lot of new and great stories in the past few days from our parents on both sides. They speak as if the events happened only yesterday - and the realization dawns that we soon will be the actors on some later generations' stage. It does give one a wistful feeling.

I get it, but sheesh, you're giving me a run for the money in the 'enigmatic phrasing' stakes, Rhymist! I mean, you're not being all accessible here

Comment

• RhymeLovingWriter
      RhymeLovingWriter commented
      Editing a comment
      Maybe your style is rubbing off??? I'm trying to find a more colorful way to describe the feelings of listening to stories, told by my parents and my husband's Mom, that have put me in mind of my ancestry. But what so often happens is that I realize, sometimes in the middle of the story, that this is a new story - a new hint into my past - and if they weren't here, right now, telling it to me (because some stories have been repeated so often that you take the details for granted) - I would lose a valuable part of myself. I need to pay attention. Of all the new stories I heard, it may have been not only the first, but also the last, opportunity. And I'm next in line to pass them down - if my kids care to know. It's a very humbling and awe inspiring feeling for me. Does that help?

• grant hayes
      grant hayes commented
      Editing a comment
      It is a situation I relate to completely, Rhymist, and I thank you for sharing it. And I keenly regret not having recorded some of my grandmothers' family lore in more detail, though I remember quite a bit, and have been able, through research, to establish that some of it is apocryphal

When I cry 'enigma', I am never demanding explanation thereby. I enjoy being mystified by a poem far more than most readers. I usually tease it out, sooner or later.
Working...
X