In Praise of Rhyme Zone Forum

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In Praise of Rhyme Zone Forum

In case anyone was wondering about how good the writing is on our Rhyme Zone forum , I suggest you sign up for "Poem a Day" from Academy of American Poets.

https://www.poets.org/poetsorg/poems...FQdo7AodJGYApg

On the weekends, you get a poem from one of the greats that is in the public domain,— usually terrific.

During the week, you get something new from someone who has a book (often from Copper Canyon Press of some such, and is living on the public dime) teaching in a public university or various writer's workshops. After the poem, the poet writes an explanation that usually begins "I was thinking about..." to which my usual reaction is: Well, just stop that!

The point is, this forum is a great place to read poems that are fresh and interesting and to engage with and encourage fellow poets.

I concur John, tis a beautiful thing!

Comment

JW, Thanks for the linkage and your RZ forum observations. Much appreciated!

Comment

'Well, just stop that!' Hahahahahahahahahaha, I like your style, John. Thanks for the link and heads-up.

Comment

• John Wertz
          John Wertz commented
          Editing a comment
          What I think, and its just me talking, is that what you see there most often is the worst kind of group-think. There are certainly no voices like yours or Grants. There is a sameness, not to mention a complete lack of humor. But take a look and tell me what you think. It's not modernist style for me; when I read Carlos Williams I get his humanity -- seldom with these folks. I can't imagine who buys these book.

• MHenry
          MHenry commented
          Editing a comment
          I presume grant and I, and others in this forum would risk tarring and feathering if we presumed to exercise our voices in that forum!

• John Wertz
          John Wertz commented
          Editing a comment
          That's the thing, MHenry, it's not a forum where the rest of us peons get to have our say. It does not even have a LIKE button. It's run by a bunch of nefarious characters who you can't identify -- kind of like the IRS -- with lots of power but bad, conformist taste. I've determined not to worry about it any more, but to keep reading, if only to confirm my own RIGHTNESS Or WRITENESS
          Last edited by John Wertz; 07-02-2016, 05:06 AM.

I 'll certainly satisfy my curiosity.

Comment

I love Rhyme Zone it was and is the only poetry forum I follow. Except for one instance there is only great love for the work others do, fantastic inspiration, and friendship. With awesome Poems everyday to read I have never wanted to venture anywhere else. I am now a little curious! Thank you John for sharing

Comment

• John Wertz
            John Wertz commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, I enjoy so much of the writing on this forum, and it often spawns ideas for my own writing. Not sure why I am so negative on much of the other stuff I see -- suppose it is the pervasive downer nihilism in so much of it these days.

I agree with you! to be honest I think the sense of community is what makes rhyme zone special. there are beginners and experts together here but all amateurs in the "lover of" meaning of the word. poems ought to be gifted freely as they are here.
          and I also think poets should write to destroy the diseases of the intellect such as group thinking, conformity, and the overpraise of promqueens that dazzle only in conformity. we are lucky if our word gifts uncrown them or at the very least are beautiful. your voice is one the mainstays here imo.

Comment

• grant hayes
            grant hayes commented
            Editing a comment
            Well said, lunar glide. Hear, hear!

Well said indeed, LG! Must confess I had some doubts before getting involved with this forum, but have found it more than rewarding and for exactly the reasons you mention.

Comment

Working...
          X