• Show
Clear All

• Final Debt

The universe some
    Day will collect your breath from you
    Live love and hide well

Ha Ha - dust to dust...I like it!

Comment

RLW, I enjoy your expansive and divergent thinking.

Comment

• RhymeLovingWriter
        RhymeLovingWriter commented
        Editing a comment
        This is one of the things I absolutely LOVE about growing older. My thinking is less constrained and structured than when younger, when right/wrong were rigidly defined in many cases. I still believe in the duality of right/wrong, but the latitude with which I apply consideration has widened.

I like the 'hide well' part, in particular.

Comment

• RhymeLovingWriter
        Editing a comment
        Yes, that's what made me laugh!

Grant, and RLW, I will tell you a little personal history that I think you both will enjoy. When I was 37 and my father was 78, he took a bus trip up from Michigan to visit me in Toronto for a couple of days. I asked him if there was anything he regretted about his past life and would like to have done differently. He said, "Yes. I wish I was young again" I said, "Dad, what do you mean by that?" He answered, "I wish I was 50". When I tell this story to people in their 20's and 30's I assure you, they don't get it!

Comment

• grant hayes
        grant hayes commented
        Editing a comment
        I've heard other older folk say similar things, particularly that the 40s and 50s are still 'young'. I suppose they are, from the vantage point of the seventies. I know a woman in her mid eighties who views sixty-somethings with envy. The pattern would appear to be that the desired phase of life is about two decades earlier than the present - a sort of modest winding back of the clock, as if it's really not too much to wish from Providence.

What I find exasperating about this whole ageing caper is that I haven't seen any evidence yet of the much touted 'wisdom'. It may just be me, but I feel that the passing years render me dumb and dumber. Perhaps that's what the 'wisdom' is: the realisation that one don't know shit, never really has, and now it's too late to do much about it.

• RhymeLovingWriter
        Editing a comment
        Oh Tanner - that is a lovely story. Did his reply make sense to you at the time? I see that many things are a result of perspective, and age reads no different.

Grant - you have nailed it exactly! Wisdom is acknowledging how little you really know. If your writings are any indication, I'd say you have accumulated a great deal of wisdom from which you produce your masterpieces.

I'd differ only on the last part of your comment - there is always time and opportunity to learn new things, at least while not mentally incapacitated by disease. Therein lies the wonder I experience each day now - which is why I so enjoy being the age I am right now. I don't have time to worry about what is in the past - let it go - look to what can be. I am amazed daily at the wonder of the world around us! (Lest I sound too 'pollyanna' - I read headlines - just choose to place my focus away from the toxic negativity.)

GH, My father at 80 about 2 months before he dropped dead, said something profound,
      I don't know what happened. I just got old".

Comment

• grant hayes
        grant hayes commented
        Editing a comment
        Maybe that's the wisdom right there.

• RhymeLovingWriter
        Editing a comment
        It sounds like he was too busy living to be concerned with dying.
    Working...
    X