Blue Lotus

Tall, long blond hair
    Lean against the pole
    Cleopatran oil drips
    Over folds and creases
    Scent of blue lotus
    Seductive music
    Unnecessary
    Last edited by MHenry; 06-20-2016, 04:36 PM.

MH, Love the last line!

Comment

• MHenry
      MHenry commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for looking, Tanner. The last line was necessary.

Beautiful imagery MH.

Comment

• MHenry
      MHenry commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you, AG!

mysterious... MHenry from the title to the last line.... i am intrigued...

Comment

• MHenry
      MHenry commented
      Editing a comment
      Ha! I am generally incapable of mysterious, so I am so thrilled that you are intrigued and find this piece mysterious, Suz-zen! Perhaps, someone else does, too? Thanks for reading and commenting!

I would be happy to explain it to you in a PM, so as not to spoil the possibility of someone else finding it mysterious!

The last line wields the magic, and transforms all that precedes. I love how you can do that with just a word. I salute!

Comment

• MHenry
      MHenry commented
      Editing a comment
      Always a pleasure and an honor to read your comments and to have you read my work, grant. You often elucidate and educate. Thank you!

• grant hayes
      grant hayes commented
      Editing a comment
      BTW, it sings beautifully as well, Maestro.

• MHenry
      MHenry commented
      Editing a comment
      Double thank you, Sensei!

I enjoyed the images. now open the doors that connect them please 😄

Comment

• MHenry
      MHenry commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi, lunar glide, Thank you for visiting and commenting! I hope an explanation will not diminish the work (what work can withstand diminishment?), but I always appreciate when grant explains his work, so here goes... this is for Suz-zen, too.

The tall, slender blond is a pole dancer slathered with scented oil (Blue Lotus was a perfume of choice of Cleopatra's*), which runs down her body parts as she writhes. The ogler, having already been seduced, finds the seductive music redundant.

You can learn more here..

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...ar-994407.html - Nenúfar, billed as 'The Sacred Scent of Cleopatra', evokes the fragrance of the blue lotus, which was sacred to the Pharoahs, frequently depicted on tomb walls, and had hallucinogenic properties.

• grant hayes
      grant hayes commented
      Editing a comment
      That makes perfect sense, Maestro, but you know, I never thought of the ogler at all, not as a protagonist anyway. I just accepted this as direct mediation. And the last line (and word) I found to be marvellously polyvalent, which is what makes the piece compelling, I think. In a direct sense, yes, it means the seductive nature of the music is now redundant, as you point out. But on my first reading, what struck me was how the word Unnecessary played a sort of double game; it could also negate everything that precedes it, as if to say all the trappings of beauty are redundant - not just the music, but the entire presentation. It also could be taken in a more vague way, as the striking abstraction closing a string of images that are otherwise all sensual. One expects some kind of sensual climax; instead one finds this enigmatic negation. Its effect is not the usual kapow you like to deliver; it's more subtle, though no less arresting.

• MHenry
      MHenry commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, I see your point, grant Sensei. Your interpretation finds deeper meaning in my words than I realized, which I find to be one of the beauties of poetry. Hidden meanings, unintended meanings, meanings that exist only in the mind of one reader... just as beauty is in the eye of the beholder. In your eyes, and now in mine! this poem could be a metaphor for the supremacy of inner beauty in the physical world and possibly for hidden, deeper meaning in poetry despite the flowery words in which it is couched. It also points out the danger in explaining one's work - self-diminution!

Thank you for taking the time to explain your reaction to this simple piece and to find the most interesting and profound hidden meaning! As always, grant, your own work is thoughtful, well-crafted, captivating, and enigmatic, and your comments are generous and incisive. My gratitude, Sensei!

thank you MHenry a vivid image now for me with the scent of Cleopatra wafting around my senses.

I had thought pole dancer on my second read. First I thought of a lady of the night leaning against a light post enticing a trick., dark, smokey...

Cleopatra was quite the seductress so perhaps she had writhed around a 'pole' or two to gain power over a few countries!

Few lines ... mesmerizing and most admirable!!

Comment

• MHenry
      MHenry commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, Suz-zen! When I wrote the second line, I had not yet decided what this long, blond-haired woman was doing. Leaning against a light pole turning tricks came to mind immediately. (Rewrite?) I also labored over the use of the word lean for awhile, wondering if it needed to be leaning, or lean with a comma. I decided to leave it as it is, and allow the ambiguity.

Rhymezone did not give me a message count on your post, and this is not the first time today that has happened. I am afraid I might be missing comments from you and others!

thank you! this did not diminish your work at all! I enjoyed the mystery and somehow as is true of great work even knowing more about it there is still some mystery! loved this one

Comment

• MHenry
      MHenry commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you, lunar glide! I am honored that this piece found an appreciative audience in you and others, and I am glad the explanation elucidated and left some mystery, too!

Those last lines, are captivating!

Comment

• MHenry
      MHenry commented
      Editing a comment
      Happy and honored to have captivated someone! Thanks for the look and the comment, Dwayne!

M H Excuse my complete ignorance. First say--Invocation--- Thai predominance. The blond hair, was it dyed? This is as luscious as any Asian american dream. I see High Heels and Thin legs

Comment

You are back with a vengeance, The second! Welcome back and thanks for the look and the comment!

Comment

Working...
      X